Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I'm new here, but have been on the site before and enjoy the content. I currently have a 2019 Durango GT. It's my second Durango, with the first being the 2015 SXT. I traded it in on the 2019 because I wanted something with a few more bells and whistles. I love everything about the vehicle or at least, I did love everything about it.

Long story short, my wife got in an accident with it and hit someone with the front of our Durango. Body work was complete and ever since then, the start/stop system never worked. We drove it for about a year with the start/stop system not working and finally this summer, it started giving me the message saying it was going to shut down soon, please pull over. I would pull over, shut it off and start it again and it would be fine. Eventually, it happened more often and we took it to the dealer. They replaced both batteries and sent us on our way. Two days later, my wife pulled it into the driveway saying it was giving her the same error that it was going to shut down. Back to the dealer we went only for them to not be able to produce the issue. They said the system is finicky and if the voltage drops below 12, it will throw that error but it's nothing to worry about. I put about another 5k miles on it with no issue.

Labor Day weekend, I took my family on a trip to Virginia (8 hours from me) to visit family. Monday morning, the Durango would not start. After letting it sit for an hour or so, it started right up and away we went. About two hours into the trip home, I got a message saying my voltage was too low so I pulled into the local auto zone to have them test my system. No error codes came back and everything passed. I made it home and took the next day off to drive it until it gave me the error. It took over two hours but it finally popped up and I pulled into the dealer. They scanned it and told me my alternator was bad. That was replaced. I drove it home (20 mins) and by the time I pulled in my driveway the message came up that my battery voltage was too low. It put a red ring around the speedometer and a red battery light was on display on the dash. This time I was pretty angry and took it back to them with the message and explained to them that this is my wife's car and I cannot have her with my kids somewhere stranded so I would appreciate some actual troubleshooting to get to the bottom of the issue. So now they're telling me they found a fuse block somewhere melted so they are going to replace that and if that doesn't work, they'll throw a new wiring harness on. To me, it doesn't seem like anything is being done to actually get to the bottom of the issue. They seem to be throwing parts at it until it's fixed. It will be covered by warranty since everything started happening prior to the warranty being expired but I just want my damn vehicle back fixed. I almost feel like it's in the wiring somewhere and it happened when my wife was in that accident I mentioned earlier.

I read a lot of horror stories like mine but have never come across one where the issue was actually resolved. Have any of you had this issue or a similar issue and have the dealer actually successfully fix the problem? If so, what did the problem end up being?

Any advice or information is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,387 Posts
Take out the small stop/start battery and defeat that system. See if that solves it. That system is annoying anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Sounds to me like a a loose wire or as the dealer said, a melted fuse block that is causing an open circuit intermittently.
I assume you did not go through insurance for your initial repair since it would the the responsability of the insurance company to repair as well.

In any case your dealer is onto it and right now there should be no reason to not believe them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds to me like a a loose wire or as the dealer said, a melted fuse block that is causing an open circuit intermittently.
I assume you did not go through insurance for your initial repair since it would the the responsability of the insurance company to repair as well.

In any case your dealer is onto it and right now there should be no reason to not believe them.
The same dealer is doing the work that did the bodywork. I asked them if they felt it would be even a slight possibility that a wire was cut even slightly or something in the collision would affect the electrical issues I'm having and he said no way.

Any idea what would cause that fuse block to melt???

Thanks for the quick response!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts