Dodge Durango Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
What?? This is mind boggling! Goes against the laws of physics! Anytime I put on wider wheels and tires the cars handled better: tigher & faster cornering. More planted on the road with less body roll due to wider tires which means more distance between tires!
So how can it be more body roll??? What gives??
Yes. Actually it doesn't go against the law of physics if you think about it. The suspension hasn't changed. Only the wheels and tires have changed. More grip but the same amount of suspension travel and body roll.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes. Actually it doesn't go against the law of physics if you think about it. The suspension hasn't changed. Only the wheels and tires have changed. More grip but the same amount of suspension travel and body roll.
The only way to increase body roll is to make it top heavy or enter turns at higher speed which would increase velocity. Then you have a higher force against the opposing factor (wheels).. but if you maintain the same speed and same degree angle, the body roll would be less with wider wheels set up.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Thanks! I'm enjoying the set up.

I looked at the SRT five spokes too. And I definitely like the look. I've always been a fan of five spoke wheels and I have a set of five spokes on another vehicle. However, I was looking for one of the lightest SRT wheels in order to try to minimize unsprung weight knowing that the larger tires would also be heavier than the OEM tires. My goal was not to increase the unsprung weight over the OEM wheel and tire weight.

According to the Vendor I purchased my wheels from the five spoke SRT wheels weigh approximately 4 to 5 pounds per wheel more than the SRT Y spoke wheels I purchased. Those Y spokes (9173s) weigh in at 29 pounds, which is pretty light for a 20 x 10 wheel. The five spokes weigh 33-34 pounds each. For comparison purposes the wheels that came on my Durango weigh approximately 35 pounds according to my vendor. By the way the OEM tires that came on my D (Bridgestone Ecopias) weigh 34 pounds and are 265/50/20s. That's a total weight for each wheel and tire of approximately 69 pounds. My new wheels have Yokohoma Parada Spec-X tires size 295/45/20. Those tires weigh 39 pounds each. So that's a total weight of approximately 68 pounds per wheel and tire for the new set up. Not bad for two more inches of width.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of options for 295/45/20 tires. And I did not want runflats. The Yokohoma's get good reviews and that coupled with the fact that they are designed for SUVs and light trucks is why I ultimately went with them.

I'll take some more pictures from different angles and post them so you can see the stance better.

BTW the vendor I purchased my wheels from does purchase take off wheels and tires, although I kept mine.
Such god info here.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Durango SRT
6 Posts
I recently purchased a 2019 Dodge Durango R/T. It's my 4th Durango, having had a 2004, 2008 and 2013 R/T previously. Right after purchasing the new D I purchased a set of Jeep Trackhawk SRT wheels in gloss black as well as a set of custom MGP caliper covers. Here are a couple of pictures of the new D with the wheels and caliper covers. I really like some of the changes on the 2019 over my 2013, especially the 8 speed transmission.

View attachment 103810
View attachment 103812
View attachment 103814
Looks good!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks, caliper cover are on my list. I was able to find the wheels and tires off of Facebook market. They came off 2018 Trackhawk with 8000 miles on them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Very nice! Now you need some caliper covers!!!
They seem to be popular around this forum so know I'm going to offend, but I have to say the clip on covers are tough for me to comprehend. Anyone that would genuinely appreciate Brembo calipers on a Durango are going to know it's 1990's Pontiac "excitement" fakery. You do you, but even as a kid I was let down but mods that alluded to performance but did nothing functionally...its not you its me, haha.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
They seem to be popular around this forum so know I'm going to offend, but I have to say the clip on covers are tough for me to comprehend. Anyone that would genuinely appreciate Brembo calipers on a Durango are going to know it's 1990's Pontiac "excitement" fakery. You do you, but even as a kid I was let down but mods that alluded to performance but did nothing functionally...its not you its me, haha.
I get it. To each his own. I have owned a number of performance cars over the years. I generally only do performance mods to those vehicles. I even have a Stoptech BBK on one that I currently own. However, I don't like the way the stock calipers on the D look, especially if you add wheels that are much more open than the OEM wheels (like SRT wheels) so that the calipers are more visible. In my opinion the OEM calipers just look unfinished.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Thanks, caliper cover are on my list. I was able to find the wheels and tires off of Facebook market. They came off 2018 Trackhawk with 8000 miles on them.
That's awesome! You don't see many used sets of SRT wheels available out there. Red caliper covers would really look nice on your D.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wish I could find a good deal in trackhawk wheels in Canada. Zero luck so far
You can not go wrong with this company.
Call them up, Joe Volpe will get you any style authentic OEM wheel that you like and properly re-coat it in the finish you prefer all for a very fair price.
He supplied my second set of forged alloy OEM SRT 10X20s (no tires) in silver for an amazingly low price.
I can recommend his product 100%!
I do NOT recommend any of the Asian “knock-offs” as they are NOT forged, just mediocre copies, ‘forgeries’ made of an unspecified grade cast aluminum), I guess they look ok from a distance, but they will not be nearly equal to the OEM wheel in quality.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I get it. To each his own. I have owned a number of performance cars over the years. I generally only do performance mods to those vehicles. I even have a Stoptech BBK on one that I currently own. However, I don't like the way the stock calipers on the D look, especially if you add wheels that are much more open than the OEM wheels (like SRT wheels) so that the calipers are more visible. In my opinion the OEM calipers just look unfinished.
I see your points, and to a certain degree, it’s about the perceptions of the person looking at them.
Personally, my pet peeve is not about which looks better in the broad sense, it’s more to do with how well does adding a cosmetic cover serve a purpose. They are easy to install and simple to keep clean on the outside, but they do hold in dirt and retain heat.
Braking represents the physics of converting the inertial mass of a moving vehicle into heat by creating friction and then quickly dispersing that heat.
But, not everyone is regularly driving near the outside limits of the braking performance envelope, so not everyone needs gigantic 4, 6 or 8 pot fixed, mono-block calipers clamping down on 15 inch two piece discs either.
I get that too, but my preference is in viewing clean and properly functioning mechanicals.

I grew up poor, so in my early years I would rip everything apart, clean and carefully paint the completely disassembled pieces, rebuild and strive to keep it nice and clean all the time, it’s all I could afford, so today I’d much rather see super clean bone stock OEM brakes nicely painted and maintained properly than a shiny cover, even though the brightly colored cover looks so much nicer though an open pattern wheel from 50 feet away.
Fortunately people don’t install caliper covers simply for me or others of my ilk.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
You can not go wrong with this company.
Call them up, Joe Volpe will get you any style authentic OEM wheel that you like and properly re-coat it in the finish you prefer all for a very fair price.
He supplied my second set of forged alloy OEM SRT 10X20s (no tires) in silver for an amazingly low price.
I can recommend his product 100%!
I do NOT recommend any of the Asian “knock-offs” as they are NOT forged, just mediocre copies, ‘forgeries’ made of an unspecified grade cast aluminum), I guess they look ok from a distance, but they will not be nearly equal to the OEM wheel in quality.
Joe's awesome. He sold me my SRT wheels too. I'm actually talking to him now about a set of 20" OEM wheels for my wife's Pacifica.

I don't recommend knock offs either. Stick with the OEM SRT wheels or another brand of quality wheels. And you can get them for a good price through someone like Joe. True story. The shop who mounted the tires on my SRT wheels told me that you can tell that my wheels were nice wheels because they were so easy to balance.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Joe's awesome. He sold me my SRT wheels too. I'm actually talking to him now about a set of 20" OEM wheels for my wife's Pacifica.

I don't recommend knock offs either. Stick with the OEM SRT wheels or another brand of quality wheels. And you can get them for a good price through someone like Joe. True story. The shop who mounted the tires on my SRT wheels told me that you can tell that my wheels were nice wheels because they were so easy to balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 129 Posts