Dodge Durango Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
Pretty sure Durango SRT have larger Rear sway bars.
That wouldn't surprise me given that the Durango is larger than the Jeep GC SRT. I couldn't find a thread on the forum regarding SRT sway bars versus R/T sway bars since 2016. And that was before the Durango SRT came out. Do you have any information on the Durango SRT sway bar specs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
That wouldn't surprise me given that the Durango is larger than the Jeep GC SRT. I couldn't find a thread on the forum regarding SRT sway bars versus R/T sway bars since 2016. And that was before the Durango SRT came out. Do you have any information on the Durango SRT sway bar specs?

If you follow savagegeese, he has an entertaining and very informative YouTube review of the DD SRT ... and at around 17 minutes in, he discusses the front and rear spring rates and sway bar changes in percentage of increase.
I don’t remember any comparison made to any of the GC models or years.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
If you follow savagegeese, he has an entertaining and very informative YouTube review of the DD SRT ... and at around 17 minutes in, he discusses the front and rear spring rates and sway bar changes in percentage of increase.
I don’t remember any comparison made to any of the GC models or years.
Thanks. I have actually seen his review of the Durango SRT before, but didn't remember that he discussed the sway bars. According to savagegeese the front sway bar is the same. However the front spring rates are 3% stiffer. The rear springs are 16% stiffer and the rear sway bar is 18% stiffer. Also the SRT has active dampers. The combination of those changes likely makes a huge difference in the way the SRT handles over the R/T. I imagine the active dampers make the most difference along with the stiffer rear springs and sway bar. It would be interesting to see how much difference switching to the stiffer SRT rear sway bar would make though on an R/T. Personally I don't think that one mod would make all that much difference, but it would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I found this thread on the DDSRT rear sway bar DDSRT rear swat bar. According to the thread forum member craigffb did the swap, but it was a real pain to switch out the rear sway bar. He also used the stock end links. He did say that the SRT rear sway bar did make the Durango handle better, but he really doesn't elaborate on how much better.

Here are the part numbers for the SRT rear sway bar and end links:

68253185aa - rear sway bar
68298921aa - rear links

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pretty sure Durango SRT have larger Rear sway bars.
Quoted myself.....
Now Im not sure if the SRT rear sways are stronger than the RT. ???
Articles I read said they were beefier but that may be comparing to a regular Durango without sport handling suspension?? Sorry. Maybe you guys can clarify for me ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
New to this stuff. I have a 2020 Durago RT that I've been thinking of upgrading the wheels and tires and this stuff is so helpful. I can't wait to start modifying my RT.
Hi Moe70, congrats on the new 20 DDRT! Are those black wheels on yours, part of the Blacktop Package?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Moe70, congrats on the new 20 DDRT! Are those black wheels on yours, part of the Blacktop Package?
Thanks I really like it so far. Yes those are the 20x8 wheels that come on the blacktop package. Mine came with the Bridgestone Ecopia (265/50R20) on them. You can upgrade to a Pirelli tire I don't which one.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If those numbers are correct for stiffness improvement with the SRT vs RT rear end sway bar, you would certainly feel that stiffness more than adding a front strut bar. The front ends of these (based on the Mercedes chassis still) are pretty stiff and don't flex like some other heavy SUVs do. It may be a good compromise of keeping the same shock ride characteristics, but just adding a bit of anti-roll with a stiff bar...
BUT, based on the numbers above, those are the R/T part numbers as well. It looks like the OLD p/n was 68184507AA. The updated p/n is 68253185AA. Looks to be the same bar rear sway bar. Can anyone confirm this?

I found this thread on the DDSRT rear sway bar DDSRT rear swat bar. According to the thread forum member craigffb did the swap, but it was a real pain to switch out the rear sway bar. He also used the stock end links. He did say that the SRT rear sway bar did make the Durango handle better, but he really doesn't elaborate on how much better.

Here are the part numbers for the SRT rear sway bar and end links:

68253185aa - rear sway bar
68298921aa - rear links

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can you please send me your wheel guys info. Just got a 2020 DDRT and want those track hawk wheels. How much for wheels and tires? Have you lowered your RT and did the wheel swap mess with your speedometer? Thanks look forward to modifying my RT.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Can you please send me your wheel guys info. Just got a 2020 DDRT and want those track hawk wheels. How much for wheels and tires? Have you lowered your RT and did the wheel swap mess with your speedometer? Thanks look forward to modifying my RT.
Sure! I will send you a PM with his info and what I paid for the wheels/tires. My Durango is not lowered. And no I have had no issues with speedometer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think body roll is more noticeable with the SRT wheels and larger tires because there is more grip and you tend to push it more than with the OEM wheels/tires. The more you push it the more the body roll comes into play. But it definitely something I noticed almost immediately.
What?? This is mind boggling! Goes against the laws of physics! Anytime I put on wider wheels and tires the cars handled better: tigher & faster cornering. More planted on the road with less body roll due to wider tires which means more distance between tires!
So how can it be more body roll??? What gives??

·
Registered
48 Posts
This does make sense.

So if you make zero changes to the setup, by swapping in stiffer anti-roll bars front and rear, and increased rate springs, the resistance to body roll has not been increased.
Therefore, adding more cornering grip with wider wheels and stickier & wider tires will allow the same (otherwise UNmodified) vehicle to negotiate tighter corners at higher speeds, by virtue of the better tires alone, then it stands to reason that the harder turning faster moving vehicle will lean over more, until you tip it over or slide off the road.
Clearly that’s why the SRT has had Bilstein shocks, stiffer springs and thicker sway bars engineered, selected and installed from the factory, to safely take advantage of the increased cornering potential offered by 20x10 wheels with 295 wide tires. Sounds reasonable to me.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts