1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a K&N CAI number 63-1563
Everything was a breeze and running fine for two weeks now,
My question,
Is it true that when you add an CAI do you need to program the computer?
I never did it to my previous cars,
I ask cause I was installing one and a mechanic stopped while I was installing it and told me that I should.
thanks in advance
Joe Bertrani

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
A CAI does not need a tune. The CAI improves the sound and air flow over the original intake because it removes intake mufflers and provides (essential) a straight line to the TB.

HP IMPROVEMENTS = None to write home about
Airflow Tone = Awesome
Airflow = Improved

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
On my F150 I used to have an Air Raid jr which was simply a replacement air filter (high flow dry) and a tube from the air filter housing directly to the TB.
This is what Durango owners need. I checked with AirRaid and they say not in their plans.

·
Registered
104 Posts
just an intake doesn't need tuning since the MAP will be telling the computer to add more fuel if more air is coming in. but this can be very miniscule.

i would say unless the stock intake is in a bad location (meaning it's getting more heat and/or lower density air) a CAI isn't going to make much difference. and it's NA too, so that's also not going to bring in much of a difference

and the advertised gains are also misleading. i've seen plenty of graphs where most of the rpm range is like 1hp then magically a 50rpm spot has 15 more, or whatever.

i don't know where the hood scoop is in relation to the throttle body (i haven't taken delivery of my R/T yet), but a ram air intake utilizing said scoop might actually show some real gains. but that's just an assumption.

·
Registered
250 Posts
An aftermarket intake is the gate way drug to car mods. Be careful or your Durango will become an addict.

So no tune needed yet.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was running a leg maker in my 2014 with the oiled air filter for over 130K miles on the last 6 oil changes 5k intervals samples of oil were sent to Blackstone labs. They put a comment in that my air filter was doing its job the oil is free from any dirt (silicon reading is lower than the universal average) . I run oiled filters on my dirtbikes and its amazing how it blocks dirt so this is a good thing for longevity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts