Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question,

just bought a SRT DD and when under breaking or even around 30mph I can here a noise in the front end. Kinda like a humming or whomping noise. I can also feel it throw the brake pedal a little bit. Brake pads and rotors are all good

Grant it I have never owned a AWD. Is this normal? I know it’s not much detail but kinda hard to explain in text.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How do the tires look? Is there any chopping on the inside or outside edges of the tires? Tires could make a noise like you described but you would not really feel anything in the brake pedal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do the tires look? Is there any chopping on the inside or outside edges of the tires? Tires could make a noise like you described but you would not really feel anything in the brake pedal.
Tires are new. They are performance tires so noise is high on them.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The previous owner could have hit something, causing a slow decay in a part wearing out. Could possibly be a tie rod or a wheel bearing. Not sure you could feel a tie rod going out through the brake pedal, but you could with a wheel bearing.

You said the tires are new, did you put them on or where they installed before you bought it? Either way, the balance could be off and would be a very easy fix. Bad balanced tires could also be felt through the brake pedal.

I highly suspect the tires, as damage to the other two parts I listed would probably have been noticed in an inspection.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The previous owner could have hit something, causing a slow decay in a part wearing out. Could possibly be a tie rod or a wheel bearing. Not sure you could feel a tie rod going out through the brake pedal, but you could with a wheel bearing.

You said the tires are new, did you put them on or where they installed before you bought it? Either way, the balance could be off and would be a very easy fix. Bad balanced tires could also be felt through the brake pedal.

I highly suspect the tires, as damage to the other two parts I listed would probably have been noticed in an inspection.

What kind of tires do you have, they are not all created equal. I just had almost the same experience you have (different vehicle) and it was the crappy tires the previous owner had installed, and they were new as well. I replaced them with a good name brand and the problems went away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

much appreciated. I will do some more testing and pull off my tire and do some more looking. I will keep you updated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Noise or Vibration only present during braking is almost always Brake related.

Rotors can be warped and hard to tell they are bad without removal and turning or replacement. Unless you can put a dial indicator on both sides and take readings on both sides at different radius, you cannot be sure the rotors are not warped. 35k miles is almost perfect for the first manifestion of warped rotors, I see it quite frequently.

You indicated tire noise was present. Performance Tires should be quiet and vibration free. Off-Road Tires are notorious for being noisy on road. Simple test, to determine if it is tires, is to rotate the tires. The noise or vibration should change or move to a different location.

Last, I would take it to a good tire shop and do an laser alignment check. Make them give you a printout. Many suspension issues are found during this process (Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends, bad Bushings....etc.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Question,

just bought a SRT DD and when under breaking or even around 30mph I can here a noise in the front end. Kinda like a humming or whomping noise. I can also feel it throw the brake pedal a little bit. Brake pads and rotors are all good

Grant it I have never owned a AWD. Is this normal? I know it’s not much detail but kinda hard to explain in text.
Sounds like brake rotors warped if the pedal is pulsating at all. Proper diagnosis would be using a dial indicator as mentioned by @LyleBrewer . In my experience even brand new brake pads and rotors can have run-out issues especially cheaper aftermarket rotors. Are the rotors OE Brembos ?

I didn't think it was possible to warp these beast OE Brembo brakes but I have been beating the snot out of my SRT and actually have developed a slight pedal pulse...

·
Registered
2018 Durango SRT Bruiser Gray
334 Posts
I love zombie posts. I love them so much I liked one of Friction's posts from a year ago, and then wondered why he was talking about his SRT and not his DDHC. 🧟‍♂️
I'll wait a couple of years and reply to your post again!

Threads should automatically close for additional posts after a certain period of no activity, maybe six months. They'd still be readable and searchable.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Question,

Under breaking? That's probably the noise you hear, here...:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts