Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,356 Posts
Once again, this is not news. The Durango Discussions 2014+ forum is where this should be. You should also include an actual question with all of your photos. I will admit that most people just ask a blind question with no pics, but your photos are not worth 1000 words. Please enlighten us.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Once again, this is not news. The Durango Discussions 2014+ forum is where this should be. You should also include an actual question with all of your photos. I will admit that most people just ask a blind question with no pics, but your photos are not worth 1000 words. Please enlighten us.
The forum police strike again.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,356 Posts
Youuuuu'rrrre busted!

• Haha
Reactions: Vice-White

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lifter roller tip failure. Likely due to the MDS lifter design suckage. I wasn't aware this was an issue on the V6, but only on the 5.7 and 6.4.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
TLP:
Sorry to hear you are in this situation. We have had some 3.6L engine owners here with this issue. The fix, if the damage is not too bad, usually runs $2500 ish. IIRC, it's a lifter/rocker arm issue that will cause big damage, as you can see over time.

Are you the original owner? If so, and you have good documentation on the upkeep, you could always reach out to corporate, and ask for some help. I assume the teardown was DIY. That may work against you.

Keep us posted. It's situations like yours, that prompt me to get that good extended warranty when you buy the car. This repair alone, would have given your money back and then some. At this point, that's not an option, but food for future thought.

Don

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,356 Posts
I'm guessing we'll never here from him again. Another one hit wonder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HELLO ALL AND THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE INFO.
SO THIS IS MORE INFO ON THE PICS.
I am the original owner and i took it in to the dealer where they at first didn't notice but I told them something was wrong it's making a ticking and some other strange low noise, and the engine light code says an e-Vap leak. They said it sounded normal for a v6 to them and it needed a purge value it had a crack. I had them replace the purge value and pushed for them to check into it more. they called me and said they found that the cam shaft was scared, and the service writer took the pictures because he never seen that before and i asked him to send them to me. They are the pics above. taken at the dealer at 71,000 miles. The service ticket writer / adviser gave a price around $6,000 and they have a get repair done and make payment option if wasn't able to pay for it out of pocket. I asked how this happened what caused it. he said that a bearing froze and cause a rod /lifter to scar it. then asked what I would like to do to take care of it. I immediately said is this common he replied it happens but usually in higher mileage. I then said this must be a malfunction and can they call corporate or should I to see if anything can be done. The service ticket writer / adviser said yes, we can call and try that let me find out give me a bit to get that checked out before you call and then see if you have to call. He came back and said the cam shaft will be covered but i would have to pay for the purge value and spark plugs that came up to around $600.
this was May 31,2021 but because of covid the parts took a while to come in. The first cam shaft came in the service adviser told me they would put that one in and was waiting on the other one to come in to finish up. They completed and called me to pick up my Durango on the morning of June 21, 2021. The service adviser pulled my Durango around to the front of the service area, as he was pulling up, I could smell fluids and hear a Fant hissing sound and as he was getting out and coming around the rear of my Durango to hand me my keys he noticed before I could tell him it was smoking from the tail pipe (I took a Video of the smoke) as he saw the smoke he said " shit very low I'm sorry and I'm taking it back to the tech plese give me a few moment to get info on this." he told me to keep the loaner car and go ahead with whatever I to-do and he would call me. The Service advisor called me a few hours later and told me again your Durango is ready you can come and pick it up. This was late afternoon. I drove around it didn't drive the same it was like pressure was off it was like it was held back. I turned around took it back told the adviser that and then he had the tech that been working on it to ride with me and my son. he came out said I don't have a mask, but I've had my shot if that's ok, I agreed find we took a test drive he said I can drive so I did. While driving he stated" it drives find to me for a V6 " I replied not my V6 it drove better and had better take off. The tech then informed me that the CPU is reset and needs to relearn my driving and give it a few days and if doesn't improve bring it back at the end of the test drive, he explained the same to the Service Adviser they agreed as to take this action. I drove around some more in it then picked up my family and we went about our way. That night the engine light came around 10pm took it home and it was also smoking again. The morning on June 22,2021 I called the dealership talk to the same service advisor that was taking care of my case and informed him of the problems ticking and a funny noise and it acted like it was cracking then did nothing (took a video that I let him know of if he needed to see *he didn't*he said they would check it) He said what and sorry and you can bring it in now or anytime. Dropped it back off they said they didn't have a loaner car to use not even the one I turned in that afternoon before and it was sitting on the lot. So, I get a call from the service adviser saying they wanted to know did I let your Durango run hot .... the answer was NO!! then it was ok the tech found that the head is warped. Then gave a price to repair of over around $3,000. So, I asked can you tell me where the head is warped, the reply was at the same cylinder location as the scared cam shaft. I then asked wouldn't it make sense that the cause of scaring on the cam shaft like that for the amount of time it took possibly made heat to cause the Warped head being it is in the same place as the original problem (that both was overlooked). The Service advisor called me back and stated we got the heads covered but we have to get the heads in and it going to take some time. They returned it back July 28,2021 but showed them the ground cable to the starter or alternator not sure the one it was for was broken when they gave it back, they said it wasn't a problem they ordered it said take the Durango the cable will take about two days to come in bring it back then and it will be put on.

SO NOW IT HAD TO GO BACK AGAIN ON NOV. 05, 2021. Still acting like it don't want to crank a few times the engine noise is louder and sounds like my son says a pigeon. THE SERVICE ADVISER I WAS WRKING WITH HAS QUIT. SO, TO SHORT THIS SOME ... I GET A NEW ADVISOR THEY ACT LIKE ITS A NEW CASE * NOTE: SAME SERVICE MANGER* & SAME TECH GO ON ANOTHER TEST DRIVE HE STATES HE DOSEN'T HEAR ANYTHING THEN I STRESS THE MOTOR HE HEARS IT AND SAY'S YOU CAN GO BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP I HERAD WHAT I NEEDED; THE BOTTOM END IS GONE I asked what you mean HE SAID YOU NEED A NEW MOTOR I WOULDN'T KEEP DRIVING IT I'LL TELL THEM AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY. THE SERVICE ADVISER AND MANGER SAID APPLE TO APPLE IF IT WAS THE TOP END THE WOULD COVER IT BUT WE DIDN'T WORK ON THE BOTTOM END SO THAT'S APPLES TO ORANGES AND WE'ER NOT COVERING IT THE PRICE FOR NEW MOTOR WITH THEM IS $10,000 * ONE GOOD DEED ONLY PER CAR. * . THIS WAS DURANGO AT 80,000 MILE AND IT'S 4 MONTHS LATER WHEN THIS IS SAID AT THIS DEALERSHIP. I CALLED THE FCA AND IT'S BEEN BACK AND FORTH FCA ALLOWED ME TO TAKE TO ANOTHER DEALERSHIP THAT IS OVERLOOKING EVERYTHING AND TURNING FINDING OVER FOR DISTRICT MANGER I GUST FOR NORTH CAROLINA TO DECIDE IF A NEW ENGINE SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUT IN WHEN THEY FOUND THE PROBLEM OR SHOULD IT E COVERED NOW. THAT"S WHY I ASKED THE WAY I DID WITH THE PICS BECAUSE ITS A LOT THAT WENT AND GOING ON. LIKE I SAID BEFORE THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ANY INFO THAT MAY HELP. I THINK THEY DIDN'T DO WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE AND IT'S NOT RIGHT WHEN YOU SPENDING YOUR MONEY YOU COME FIRST BUT AFTER THEY GET IT YOU'RE GETTING RUDE REMARKS (MY FATHER IS 73YR OLD AND KNOW ABOUT WORKING ON MOTORS FROM BACK IN THE DAY AND TRIED TO TELL THE SERVICE MANGER THAT IF YOU WORK ON THE TOP YOU HAVE TO CHECK THE BOTTOM AND REVERSE IF NOT THE ONE YOU DON'T WILL BE STESSED AND CAN CAUSE A PROBLEM HE CUT FATHER OFF AT THAT POINT AND SAID " I DON'T KNOW I DON'T WORK ON CARS " AT THAT POINT IT WAS OVER .

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
TLP:
There certainly was more to your story, and pics, then you first indicated. It sounds to me like FCA tried to make things right, but the mechanic fell short when it came to the hands on part. Now, they have a bunch of money in it, and (surprise, surprise) no one on the FCA side of the food chain wants to admit they royally screwed up!

I'd agree, that there are times I'd expect them to cut to the chase, and drop in an entire engine. From their side of the fence though, every dollar they save by doing the minimum, makes their bean counters ecstatic.

A 4 year old vehicle at this price point, properly maintained, should not experience such a serious issue at such a low mileage. It seems that your options at this point, are to give up and take a huge loss, or press them to repair it so you have a running, dependable vehicle.

Good Luck! Let us know what happens.

Don

Reactions: T Levon Patt

·
Registered
458 Posts
Better than a warranty as your car goes over 50k send your oil into Blackstone labs for analysis every 5-6k . Keep an eye on the Iron rising thats what was floating around in your motor that probabaly took out the lower end. If the iron starts to rise get rid of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts