Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone being able to install the 'factory-installed' roof rack (what's in the picture) on their Durango. My dealership said it's only if the durango came equipped with the roof rack option from the factory.
Or any recommendations on a roof rack that is similar to this one i.e. not very noticeable and the crossbars can be stored with the side rails.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe that you have to remove the ceiling liner and possibly drill mounting holes. Also, it seems most dealership today only want to do oil change and other small stuff. Nothing major. before this whole crazy thing started I was supposed to get my differentials swapped, computer reprogrammed for the new lower gears and install SRT seats I never came in and now when I called in they said then they only do a small stuff they don't do anything major. I called other places and got the same answer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amelnik is correct - you have to remove the liner (to ensure you don't damage the side curtain airbags) and drill holes for rivnuts to permanently mount the side rails. Be advised on the mopar roof rack that they recommend for durango. It's just an aftermarket rack that you can get anywhere or even better ones. Thankfully I googled it before buying it.I've resigned to buying an aftermarket one. On the plus side, I'll be able to remove it when not in use and also use it on my other vehicles.

I hope I don't run into the same problem if I ever need any major work done.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the aftermarket one, its from Thule and mounts to the tops of the door frame. I only put it on when I need the cargo box for trips. If you look up other threads, putting in the factory rails on a Durango that doesn't have them from the factory is dicey at best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the aftermarket one, its from Thule and mounts to the tops of the door frame. I only put it on when I need the cargo box for trips. If you look up other threads, putting in the factory rails on a Durango that doesn't have them from the factory is dicey at best.
Hi mjreiland, which one of the Thule rack and cargo box are you using? Have you noticed if there is more noise inside the cabin with the rack? I'm going on a road trip so noise would be a big issue.
I've been researching the heavy duty racks (165lbs capacity) so I can haul stuff from the hardware store if needed (once I get rid of my truck)
Thanks Jay

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Jayfish,

I had the same problem on my previous vehicle, a 2014 Grand Cherokee Altitude without the roof rails so I purchased TR486056 from Just for Jeeps which is a kit that contains:

Includes Thule 60" AeroBlade Bars (ARB60), Thule Rapid Traverse Foot Pack (480R), Thule Traverse Fit Kit (1656) and a set of 4 lock cylinders

The foot kit is the only thing that needs to be changed out in order to work with the Durango Fit Kit 1616

The box that i have is Thule 603 Ascent 1500 Rooftop Cargo Box in Black

Overall the AeroBlades and Cargo box are very quiet. The Aeroblades are also VERY stout, no issues with weight. I was originally very worried about the clamping on the door frames and scratching the paint etc, I haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Jayfish,

I had the same problem on my previous vehicle, a 2014 Grand Cherokee Altitude without the roof rails so I purchased TR486056 from Just for Jeeps which is a kit that contains:

Includes Thule 60" AeroBlade Bars (ARB60), Thule Rapid Traverse Foot Pack (480R), Thule Traverse Fit Kit (1656) and a set of 4 lock cylinders

The foot kit is the only thing that needs to be changed out in order to work with the Durango Fit Kit 1616

The box that i have is Thule 603 Ascent 1500 Rooftop Cargo Box in Black

Overall the AeroBlades and Cargo box are very quiet. The Aeroblades are also VERY stout, no issues with weight. I was originally very worried about the clamping on the door frames and scratching the paint etc, I haven't had any issues.
One reviewer suggested "pedestal pads are a very soft rubber that would probably not scratch the paint but if any sand or dirt was able to make its way under the foot it would probably scratch. So I used some stick on vinyl to cover the paint and then put the pedestals over that...After the initial install I think the rack could be removed in less than 10 minutes and reinstalled just as quickly. Especially using the vinyl as markers and not having to remeasure everything". I'm wondering how it will look when the rack is not mounted and will vinyl survive direct sunlight exposure over time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can tell you that originally I was totally worried about the paint. However, if you clean the areas off then clamp this thing on, it isn't moving, there is no sand or dirt getting under the feet. I don't worry about it anymore and I keep the paint on my R/T (black) really nice. I think that was more worry than anything. Even without the vinyl it takes only a few minutes to locate the two cross bars. However clear paint protection film has come a long way so I doubt you would even see it if you decide to go that route.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts