Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2018 Dodge Durango GT

Just changed the ac compressor, flushed the lines with a couple of cans of AC Pro, blew them out with an air compressor, and currently the ac pressor is only 20.
The ac is kind of cold but the issue i am having is that the ac clutch doesn't seem to cycle on and off when the ac is on. Any ideas would be helpful.

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
Are you qualified to work on AC? Are you aware that the system uses R1234? Are you aware that you can't blow the lines out with compressed air that will introduce moisture to the system? That is a task for nitrogen. Did you suck it down and make sure the system held a vacuum for a few hours? Are you aware that the clutch will remain engaged if the target temp isn't met? The answer to the first question appears to be no.

Reactions: Urbish

· Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
1,063 Posts
I do not have certification to work on AC systems but my father does, and when he help me fix my AC unit on my 99 WJ he explained what he was doing. For starters you never blow compressed air into the system as it contains moisture. When we closed up the system (I replaced the filter/drier) we pressurize/purged with dry nitrogen and then we pumped down the system until we hit below 500 microns vacuum (IIRC we were around 200 to 250 microns) which we monitored for about 15 min with the pump off and valves closed to make sure it was rock steady. We then charged the system which worked flawlessly for years. Basically my father explained failure to get moisture out of the system can lead to ice buildup on the evap valve and acid to form. It was a pretty time consuming ordeal.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you qualified to work on AC? Are you aware that the system uses R1234? Are you aware that you can't blow the lines out with compressed air that will introduce moisture to the system? That is a task for nitrogen. Did you suck it down and make sure the system held a vacuum for a few hours? Are you aware that the clutch will remain engaged if the target temp isn't met? The answer to the first question appears to be no.
First off not everyone has the money to take a vehicle for a full AC service. I am doing the best I can with what I have. Second off if you are going to be an asshole in your response then your opinion doesn't mean jack shit to me.

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
Sorry, buddy, if you were offended by the fact that you effed this up by working on it yourself. What you said you did to it will cause premature failure of your compressor and then require all of the parts involved like the orifice valve or filter/drier to be replaced due to the contamination you introduced to the system. It's clear you don't know what you're doing or you wouldn't have done any of the things you said you did. Just the fact that it won't cool properly indicates that you did something wrong, even if it is just that you don't know how to charge the system. I don't feel I was being an asshole at all but rather you don't like it when someone points out your failures. I'm guessing your answers to all of my questions would be "no" or you wouldn't have done this yourself. It amazes me how many people can "afford" to own a car but not to have it maintained, but I also understand the financial aspects of some folk's finances. What you should have done was buy the compressor yourself and then paid someone to install it properly while giving you no warranty on the compressor since it was yours. Now, you also never told us why you changed the compressor to begin with and what your symptoms were. You also haven't now said how you came to think all that you did was the way to do it.

· Premium Member
2,947 Posts
You need to evacuate the AC system before trying to add Freon.
If you can't do it, then you save up your pennies until someone can do it for you such as a AC repair shop or your dealer.

· Super Moderator
13,220 Posts
Let's dial back the personal attacks please.
- the Management

· Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,301 Posts
First off not everyone has the money to take a vehicle for a full AC service. I am doing the best I can with what I have. Second off if you are going to be an asshole in your response then your opinion doesn't mean jack shit to me.
I don’t think he was being an asshole. He was just being direct and getting down to the facts. I guess some folks are very sensitive. Besides that, GT’s suck! Haha!

· Premium Member
5,882 Posts
Once DD gets the underhood stuff sorted out, I believe there is a humidity sensor mounted on the windshield beside the rear mirror. When they get flaky, I've heard it can trigger the AC comp to run nonstop, thinking the cabin air is humid.

Don

• Helpful
Reactions: MikeD1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts