Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Durango RT AWD
104 Posts
Any details on the issue your having? Symptoms? I have the 8hp70 in my 15 RT with 141k miles that I've owned since 48k. No transmission issues yet and I drive pretty hard.

Anybody else having this issue so early? No local shops will touch it and Dodge dealership says parts are 6 months out or more.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,022 Posts
It's unusual for them to fail at all, based on this forum only of course. It's a great tranny and the only issues others have had here is a couple of leaking tranny cases aside from some thinking theirs shift too hard or oddly. You may just have had bad luck. Even if you had done the fluid and filter change that ZF recommends at 75K you might not have saved it. Now, if it ran out of fluid you should have some recourse against Dodge since they don't give you a way to check the fluid or refill it and claim it's got lifetime fluid. You might just want to try a salvage yard with a late model Durango. The V6 uses a slightly different tranny than an RT but you might be able to use either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. It's been clunking for about 20k miles. Dealership said it was the transfer case and replaced it under warranty. Same clunk after the replacement. Hard clunk coming to a stop and letting off the gas too quickly. Dealership said that it is normal. Now it's throwing codes and going in and out of limp mode. It sounds like the tranny is going to fall out the bang is so hard now. It went out of warranty 500 miles after the last repair.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,022 Posts
They lied to you about what is normal and you didn't call them on it when it was under warranty. You might have motor/tranny mount problems.

·
Premium Member
2015 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
635 Posts
Thanks guys. It's been clunking for about 20k miles. Dealership said it was the transfer case and replaced it under warranty. Same clunk after the replacement. Hard clunk coming to a stop and letting off the gas too quickly. Dealership said that it is normal. Now it's throwing codes and going in and out of limp mode. It sounds like the tranny is going to fall out the bang is so hard now. It went out of warranty 500 miles after the last repair.
I've had light clunking that went away after fluid change. The clunking probably had nothing to do with the transfer case.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
DB:
It seems to me, you have some grounds to go back on them with.

#1. You brought a concern to their attention. They have made several incorrect attempts to fix it.
#2, The initial concern has yet to be properly repaired. They have NOT held up their end of the deal.
#3. A dealer warranty repair normally comes with a 12/12 warranty. When was that last repair done?

I would be on the phone to Dodge corporate customer service, asking them for assistance with this issue.
Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Don

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Durango RT AWD
104 Posts
I'm not a certified mechanic so take this with a grain of salt... but that sounds like an engagement issue, maybe the torque converter? But again that's just my guess. Have they considered that?

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
137 Posts
What drives me nuts about these ZF trans is there is no easy way to check fluid level. To do so you have to have the truck lifted and the trans at a particular temp and in gear for a set amount of time, meanwhile checking if the fluid is just weeping out of the fill hole. Rather complicated process just to check level. Having a dipstick not only lets you quickly look at oil level but also oil condition. If they were not going to put a dipstick on the trans the least they could have done was to add a fluid level sensor or fluid life sensor of some sort.

Also not sure if this helps but in 2018 there was a TSB for TCM regarding poor shift quality at coast down.

On a side note, this little quote is precisely why I am frustrated with ZF trans. Again why does the oil level check have to be so complicated?
Rectangle Font Art Pattern Number

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your replies guys. I'm waiting for the service dept to call me back so I can make an appt to bring it back again. In my prior experience with a trans issue on my 2500 a few years back, Chrysler corporate is completely worthless. I wish a tree would fall on it :( This is my wife's Durango). I am currently driving her old 2007 Durango with 240,000 miles and never had any issues with it other than a bad A/C expansion valve and valve cover gaskets. What happened to the quality?

·
Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
179 Posts
As Don mentioned above, I also feel that you have a strong recourse for going back to the dealership and demand a correct diagnosis and fix this time.

I can tell you that I have had experience raising issues all the way up to the corporate office when our trans failed on our 1990 GC. While it was a couple months outside the warranty, it was several miles under the mileage limit, and my wife had made several prior complaints, only to be treated like some dumb broad who knew nothing. She is fairly car savvy, and knew the odd shifting was not "normal" as they kept telling her.

I was firm, but forceful, with both the dealership and corporate regarding prior visits with no resolution, it just being over the time limit, but such low mileage, PLUS reminding them of the myriad of complaints on the much troublesome Ultra Drive 4 speed autos. I think I paid like $200, and Chrysler covered the rest of the cost of a new trans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts