Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my truck into service dept. due to a frequent gasoline smell in the cabin and mileage had dropped about 3mpg. Left it with them for 4 days. They said they found nothing to explain the gasoline smell or the drop in mileage. After picking up the truck I drove it for a couple of days and no gasoline smell and the mileage had returned to what had been normal. In their checking could the computer have been reset causing everything to recover. Has anyone else had this experience?
I went back and thanked the service advisor whatever they didn't do fixed the problem. He just smiled.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
73 Posts
They say the best problems are the ones that fix themselves.

I had a similar experience once in my Challenger a while ago (also a 3.6). It just happened after a refuel. It went away after driving it a bit and all vitals looked okay except my mpg (down a bit). It stopped after a bit and never came back. It’s ran great since!

·
Registered
209 Posts
check the fuel lines in the engine bay...fuel rail and around the intake plenum...if you see any wetness you may need new seals or gaskets somewhere....having fuel smell inside should only come from the engine bay...the evap system and charcoal canister is in the back and you wouldn't smell that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
check the fuel lines in the engine bay...fuel rail and around the intake plenum...if you see any wetness you may need new seals or gaskets somewhere....having fuel smell inside should only come from the engine bay...the evap system and charcoal canister is in the back and you wouldn't smell that.
I suspect something in the computer that controls the fuel system got reset when they were checking for the problem even though they said they didn't find anything. After they didn't do anything it all returned to normal. Mileage returned and fuel smell went away.

·
Registered
209 Posts
there is nothing for us to reset for a fuel leak/smell .... even when we clear any codes, its only clearing them. it won't fix anything. but glad to hear it seems to have resolved itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts