Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I have a weird one. Three of us spent 4 hours trying to figure this out and each time we thought we did. NOPE!

I have a 2017 Dodge Durango. The rear HVAC system intermittently goes out. When you watch the screen up front, it will bump from the coldest setting LO to the hottest setting HI, then turn off, then come back on. At times, it says it is on from the dash screen but it is really off and the lights on the dials for the rear in the rear are not lit up. Sometimes the lights on the rear control panel are lit up but there is no air coming out. If I slam some doors, it may kick it back on and sometimes it kicks it off. If I open a door, it might kick off and lose all power for a split second. I got to the rear blower motor and looked at around and saw no burnt or melted wires. When there is no power to the rear system, I banged on the rear blower motor and couldn't get it to come back on. When it was on, I wiggled all the lines going into the rear blower motor and couldn't get it to cut out. Driving down the road, the smallest bump with cause it to cut in and out. All fuses seem good. I have switched relays around under the hood. I am at a complete loss as what is going on.

Here is a video of what I see on the dash display when it cuts in and out while driving. dodge rear hvac issue

Please help!

·
Registered
160 Posts
i would start with loose wires....this will be lengthy if you can get some codes....its loosing communication with a module somewhere...i would start with the radio unit first....remove the radio and check all the connections...with the radio out start the vehicle and hit the radio and wiggle the wires on the back...if nothing happens then you have to move onto the next module which could be the body control module.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Okay... I have a weird one. Three of us spent 4 hours trying to figure this out and each time we thought we did. NOPE!

I have a 2017 Dodge Durango. The rear HVAC system intermittently goes out. When you watch the screen up front, it will bump from the coldest setting LO to the hottest setting HI, then turn off, then come back on. At times, it says it is on from the dash screen but it is really off and the lights on the dials for the rear in the rear are not lit up. Sometimes the lights on the rear control panel are lit up but there is no air coming out. If I slam some doors, it may kick it back on and sometimes it kicks it off. If I open a door, it might kick off and lose all power for a split second. I got to the rear blower motor and looked at around and saw no burnt or melted wires. When there is no power to the rear system, I banged on the rear blower motor and couldn't get it to come back on. When it was on, I wiggled all the lines going into the rear blower motor and couldn't get it to cut out. Driving down the road, the smallest bump with cause it to cut in and out. All fuses seem good. I have switched relays around under the hood. I am at a complete loss as what is going on.

Here is a video of what I see on the dash display when it cuts in and out while driving. dodge rear hvac issue

Please help!
Hi Tim,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local Dodge dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So.... I didn't put this in the initial post but the vehicle is not your traditional Durango. It has been cut in half and stretched out about 165 inches and is a limousine. After hours of investigation as to why slamming doors would cause it to work or turn off, etc., pulling off the radio bezel and disconnecting the control unit, and aggrevation, come to find out that the modifier of the vehicle ran the cables for the rear air up the pillar by the driver and then toward the rear of the car. The cable from the unit up front to the extension toward the back of the car was plugged in bit not pushed together all the way such that the locking tab wasn't locking it together. 4 years and 25k miles and gravity finally was enough to start pulling the connection apart and thus causing an intermittent issue. Disconnected and plugged it together making sure the locking tab was used as intended and it has worked 100% since. I guess QC at the modifier was lacking in that area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts