Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased a new 2017 Dodge Durango R/T RWD. I am still on the first tank of gas (100 miles), but I notice the MPG is averaging 8-9 MPG both city and highway. How is this possible, the vehicle says its rated at 14-21 (17 average). Any suggestions? Is it that I need to break the vehicle in first? The eco mode is on, sport mode is off.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The engine loosens up a bit over time. I'd give it a few tankfuls.

Also...are you getting into the gas? :) Its tough not too....with a Hemi...

I have a '14 RT and get about 13-15 in town...and when I stretch it with the cruise on during my longs trips I'm 21-23mpg. 29K on her now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello, I just purchased a new 2017 Dodge Durango R/T RWD. I am still on the first tank of gas (100 miles), but I notice the MPG is averaging 8-9 MPG both city and highway. How is this possible, the vehicle says its rated at 14-21 (17 average). Any suggestions? Is it that I need to break the vehicle in first? The eco mode is on, sport mode is off.
I had a 2013 Crew Hemi for 3 years (78K miles) and then upgraded in April to a 2015 Citadel Hemi. On both of these I have averaged about 11-12mpg mixed but mostly in town and I have a fairly heavy foot but how can I not with the Hemi 8 speed combo. When I set Cruise control and try to keep it around 70-75mph I have been able to get around 19-21mpg. Yes its lower than I would like but I know I am the cause of the issue and havent been able to make myself change yet.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have the same results. I typically get 13 in stop and go driving. Have nto really taken any highway trips in mine yet (bout it used). 2015 with 27K on it.

If you want a reference, my Chevy Trailblazer with a 4.2 6 cylinder for about 15 mpg in thhe same conditions. 13 in a big heave Hemi does not sadden me, especially when I step on the gas :)

I think it your mileage will increase over time. It does depend on your driving habits as well. Just have fun :)

Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a 2016 AWD R/T in July and have averaged 16.5 with mostly city driving conditions since that time (no stop and go though). I traded in a 2014 Honda Pilot which averaged around 19-20 for the same conditions but no where near as fun to drive. I still look forward to driving this beast each time where as the Pilot was functional transportation. It should improve if you leave the "Sport" mode off which is a difficult task. Can't believe the difference with Sport on!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I think its either crappy fuel, or you may actually find yourself getting better MPG in normal mode. Eco is so lethargic that I found myself putting the pedal down harder and my MPG suffered. Not as much as yours though. Make sure your air pressure is good, and make sure you don't have a nasty alignment problem (scrubbing tires causes low MPG), and of course make sure you don't have a stuck brake caliper or something silly. Make sure all hoses and whatnot are connected to the engine, just pop the hood and look for anything obviously loose.

Other than that, should be getting about 14-16mpg. I recommend 91 octane BTW.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I average about 11 but I drive like an A hole... Eco mode sucks unless you are on a long freeway trip with few stops.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
My Citadel Hemi returns 10-11 towing a 24' boat!
I'd keep a notepad and calculate by hand to see if the on-board FE readout is correct.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Give it a few thousand miles before you worry, 100 miles isn't enough time to get an accurate #. I'm guessing it will get better. I just did a 1600 mile roadtrip and averaged 23 mpg in my AWD R/T with nothing but 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Since you are in the first 100 miles note the break in suggestion in the manual of doing a few hard accelerations with the pedal to the floor. I'd also recommend not using eco in the first 500 miles or so, but that's not a Dodge recommendation, that's just me.

Even on a new engine you shouldn't get under 12 in normal driving. I get 15-ish in mixed driving in a hemi Citadel, less towing or when I'm hard into the pedal, but never have seen an average below 12. I'd suggest you alert your dealer now so they are aware in case it continues. Also, at next fill-up note the miles and do the math yourself on a tank to see if you agree with the dash.

·
Registered
24 Posts
we have a brand new 2016 R/t rwd. it just passed 1000 miles. It is driven strictly city. stop light to stop light. right now its getting 11.1 mpg, eco mode on. sport mode does nothing positive for mpg in the city. This is in southern california. When taking off from a stop, mpg reads around 5, cruising about 25. Problem is, as soon as i get to cruising, im coming to a stop and idling at a light for another 2 minutes. You guy who get 14 city must have longer stretches of road to let the D cruise. Otherwise, constant acceleration and idling will kill mpg on any vehicle. Our 2014 ford fusion with 4 cylinder gets 17 city under these same conditions. Highway it gets 33. highway for durango it gets me about 22-23

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wow, I haven't even got single digits in my Hemi Ram towing, it averages about 17.5 as my daily. My wife has been getting about 20-21 in the Pentastar Durango.

Are your trips short, and are you an aggressive driver?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I so wanted a Hemi in my 2017 Citadel but this thread is why I didn't get it. I am getting Hemi type mileage out of my V6 because I have a VERY heavy foot. I knew if I got the Hemi, I'd likely be in barely over double digit mileage because of the way I drive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
if you have ever been to southern california you will understand why atleast im getting low MPG. Sit at a red light for a minute or two which is zero mpg, accelerate up to 40 mpg and coast barely on throttle, mpg is about 30, after a few seconds of that, come to a stop and sit at the red light again. There is simply not enough time while the car is moving to get decent mpg. While it is moving, it is all acceleration. I tried very hard to get good mpg yesterday and at the end of the day was getting 12.8. Strictly city, in my type of city, mpg is terrible but i knew this going in and i dont really care

·
Registered
24 Posts
if your looking for good mpg, then a big vehicle with a 360 hp v8 is not the way to go. I drove an explorer sport twin turbo v6 for a test drive on these same streets and was getting 12 mpg

·
Registered
301 Posts
I get 10-11ish around town, work isn't that far so most of my trips are short which doesn't help. I guess about 20 on the highway I normally cruise at 80-85.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was getting 16 then 17 then 18 during the first 2500 miles ..
now I'm getting 15 (but using midgrade instead of 91) - that is the only thing I've changed .. well that and playing around with the paddles and Sport mode a bit more :)

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
if you have ever been to southern california you will understand why atleast im getting low MPG. Sit at a red light for a minute or two which is zero mpg, accelerate up to 40 mpg and coast barely on throttle, mpg is about 30, after a few seconds of that, come to a stop and sit at the red light again. There is simply not enough time while the car is moving to get decent mpg. While it is moving, it is all acceleration. I tried very hard to get good mpg yesterday and at the end of the day was getting 12.8. Strictly city, in my type of city, mpg is terrible but i knew this going in and i dont really care
Sound like engine shut-off would be a beneficial option there.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am averaging 16 mpg in my first week of a mix of local and highway driving using Eco mode.

·
Registered
491 Posts
So my wife's last tank (v6) was 17.8MPG. I get that in my Hemi Ram...

We need to have a talk lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts