Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I shift from Drive into Park, I hear a loud clunk and the vehicle jerks. It has about 200mi on the OD right now, and it Has been present at some level from the start, although seemed worse today. Could be I was in a drive through window, and had the drivers window open, so the sound was more apparent to me.

I did a search and found this was an issue in 2012 Cherokees, which had a TSB fix issued.

Anyone else with a 2015 or 2016 experience this? I wonder if it's only with the HD transmission (only in the hemi equipped vehicles I believe)?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Are you on a incline or decline when you hear it ?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Only time I hear what you describe is when I'm on a incline or decline and I don't use the parking brake.

Try using your parking brake then shifting your gears, see if the noise is still there.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i've got a very slight incline on my driveway and this happens on my 2015 r/t when I shift into park,,can be quite loud at times also

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have also sometimes noticed a slight clunk or jerk in my 2016 R/T when I shift into park. I was thinking it was just a characteristic of this transmission. It doesn't seem like a problem, but I only have around 250 miles on it. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have also sometimes noticed a slight clunk or jerk in my 2016 R/T when I shift into park. I was thinking it was just a characteristic of this transmission. It doesn't seem like a problem, but I only have around 250 miles on it. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.
I have the 2016 R/T and have not noticed a clunk going into park. As said above I have had the clunk coming out of park on an incline when we don't use the emergency brake first.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Stoopalini I like the Avatar... Sport mode icon!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys. This seems to be happening even on level ground, and the noise is accompanied by the vehicle being jerked. When it happened in the drive through last night, my 1st thought was the guy behind me bumped into me, but it was obvious he didn't. I then shifted back into D, and to P again, several times, and it consistently made the clunk sound and the entire vehicle jerked.

It could be a characteristic of the HD 8 speed, or maybe the fluid is low (my dealer completely dropped the ball on the PDI). if it continues to be constant, I'll grab a video of it.

Stoopalini I like the Avatar... Sport mode icon!!!
LOL. I was wondering if anyone would notice. I thought it would make the perfect avatar so I took a pic of it the other day. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have the same issue and it's seeming to get worse. When I pulled into my garage and shifted into park the whole car jerked forward and the car actually rocked back and forth for a few seconds. Is this a normal quirk? Car is a 2017 with 11k miles on it and I've owned it since new.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same issue and it's seeming to get worse. When I pulled into my garage and shifted into park the whole car jerked forward and the car actually rocked back and forth for a few seconds. Is this a normal quirk? Car is a 2017 with 11k miles on it and I've owned it since new.
We have a 2016 R/T, and I've noticed the same behavior if the vehicle is on slightly uneven ground. It seems to have gotten better over time (about 27k miles now), or we've just become used to it.

When rotating the shift knob to park, be sure you wait a few seconds before releasing the brake pedal. I've noticed that helps too.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Take it to the dealership and get it checked out. My 16 R/T no issues, 12K miles, and the rental that I had 17 GT didn't do this either.

·
Registered
Dodge Durango 2019 TT
21 Posts
I have the 2016 R/T and have not noticed a clunk going into park. As said above I have had the clunk coming out of park on an incline when we don't use the emergency brake first.
Hi i was also wondering about this i have a 2019 RT with 17000 and when i shift from park into drive i do hear that clunk as well sometimes. Should i be worried i do not beat up on the car and maintain it well. Should i ask them at dodge to check?

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Nah...mine has always made this noise and I now have 130K miles. Now I don't hear it when inside with all the windows up, but it is a clear, pretty loud clunk noise if I'm outside or if I have the windows down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts