Dodge Durango Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Yeah I see that, luckily for me I’m 34 and retired so all I have is time! Lol. So they are just put in straight up bleach? Is that a convenient way to remove the chrome? I’m waiting on my damn Brembo calipers that are supposed to have come overnight a few days ago but they are currently “lost” in transit.. fml.
Wish I was retired. I’m 35 and have a minimum of 22 years left (teacher).

Well I’m not using “bleach” it’s actually pool shock or liquid chlorinator. I didn’t think buying household bleach at the moment was a very good idea. They both have the same ingredients just at different rates. I tried easy off oven cleaner and it didn’t work. Tried purple power and didn’t work. I don’t have a sand blaster so this was the next best way IMO.

Brembos will change your driving style Good choice! Love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
10 Posts
Wish I was retired. I’m 35 and have a minimum of 22 years left (teacher).

Well I’m not using “bleach” it’s actually pool shock or liquid chlorinator. I didn’t think buying household bleach at the moment was a very good idea. They both have the same ingredients just at different rates. I tried easy off oven cleaner and it didn’t work. Tried purple power and didn’t work. I don’t have a sand blaster so this was the next best way IMO.

Brembos will change your driving style Good choice! Love mine

I’m only retired because I was military and got “broken” but I am trying to make the best of it. I’m trying to set up my Durango to prepare it for adding a Ripp system since wife wasn’t happy with me getting a V8 so I’m making due with what I have lol. I am hoping they are found soon but we shall see. That’s an interesting way of removing the chrome, I usually just sand everything down, and that shit takes forever

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I’m only retired because I was military and got “broken” but I am trying to make the best of it. I’m trying to set up my Durango to prepare it for adding a Ripp system since wife wasn’t happy with me getting a V8 so I’m making fue with what I have lol. I am hoping they are found soon but we shall see. That’s an interesting way of removing the chrome, I usually just sand everything down, and that shit takes forever
Thank you for your service. I appreciate the sacrifices you’ve made.

I have sanded chrome pieces (which I don’t have the patience for) before but it hasn’t lasted as long as I’d like but those were exterior chrome pieces exposed to the elements. These are interior which won’t take a beating. I have also researched some of the better branded spray paints for this type of application so I’m hoping a high quality primer and top coat (rustoleum professional) paired with spraymax 2K clear will do the job without paying for a professional paint job. So if I’m going to do it, I’m going to do it the right way one time however long it takes. I’ve learned that lesson!!

I drove a friends V6 Durango before I bought the R/T. I thought it was a nice engine but the 5.7 Hemi just hooked me. Plus I came from a V8 sedan and I wasn’t going to go with less cylinders A RIPP supercharger would be nice however!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for your service. I appreciate the sacrifices you’ve made.

I have sanded chrome pieces (which I don’t have the patience for) before but it hasn’t lasted as long as I’d like but those were exterior chrome pieces exposed to the elements. These are interior which won’t take a beating. I have also researched some of the better branded spray paints for this type of application so I’m hoping a high quality primer and top coat (rustoleum professional) paired with spraymax 2K clear will do the job without paying for a professional paint job. So if I’m going to do it, I’m going to do it the right way one time however long it takes. I’ve learned that lesson!!

I drove a friends V6 Durango before I bought the R/T. I thought it was a nice engine but the 5.7 Hemi just hooked me. Plus I came from a V8 sedan and I wasn’t going to go with less cylinders A RIPP supercharger would be nice however!

Yes. The 2k clear makes a hell of a difference. The outcome of a good spray job is 90% prep! So stripping that chrome is a must. I have painted motorcycle fairings with rattle can paint and then used the 2k clear and with a good wet sanding and mechanical polishing, people haven’t spotted a difference.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Air bag removed and disassembled. The matte black trim piece you see is an overlay I purchased and wrapped, however, it does not fit over the chrome on the steering wheel. That’s why I’m taking it all apart to paint. The chrome piece that’s removed from the steering wheel is not plastic, it’s some sort of flexible rubber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Air bag removed and disassembled. The matte black trim piece you see is an overlay I purchased and wrapped, however, it does not fit over the chrome on the steering wheel. That’s why I’m taking it all apart to paint. The chrome piece that’s removed from the steering wheel is not plastic, it’s some sort of flexible rubber.

Man, now that makes me nervous as hell. But good to see it can be done

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Steering wheel trim update:

Stripped the chrome and sanded with 400 grit sandpaper. Didn’t want to get aggressive as the trim piece is soft and flexible. Black plastidip and reinstalled with E6000 adhesive. The plastidip texture matches the steering wheel texture. I didn’t intentionally do that, just came out this way.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Airbag reinstalled after deleting chrome trim piece with black plastidip. Up next is getting the black top coat and 2K matte clear on all the remaining interior trim pieces painted.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Another step closer to completing the chrome delete on the interior trim pieces & fog light rings. 3 top coats of Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel Gloss Black. Some pieces will get sprayed with 2K Matte Clear some will get sprayed with 2K Gloss Clear. There is orange peel already. Don’t plan on sanding smooth. It will give some dimension to the pieces and match the texture of interior panel pieces.

Also removing chrome plating from the turn signal reflector of the headlight to prep for black paint.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Finally got some pieces sprayed with Spray Max 2K Matte Clear, cured and installed.

Front Overhead Console
Before

After
*blacked out the aluminum light shields

Air Vent Trim/Gauge Cluster Trim

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Front grill emblem has been stripped of paint using bleach and soda blasted. 3 coats of primer followed by 3 coats of gloss black. Door lock pull knobs stripped of chrome with 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of gloss black. All pieces will be finished with 2K SprayMax Matte Clear.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts