Dodge Durango Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
New rear rockguards installed. Used factory fastener locations just like the last setup plus 3 clips in the upper wheel well area.

Old rockguards

New rockguards

New (on the left) vs old (on the right)

Attachment locations

The finer details: rounded edges, beveled drill holes for the fasteners and sanded smooth side with 320 grit sand paper

Passenger rear (textured outside)

Passenger rear (“smooth” inside with 320 grit sandpaper)

More side shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks awesome! Great workmanship! Thanks for posting. Just guessing you do a rough cut....With a knife or jigsaw? Then sand edges for a finished edge?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Looks awesome! Great workmanship! Thanks for posting. Just guessing you do a rough cut....With a knife or jigsaw? Then sand edges for a finished edge?
Jigsawed along the white paint outline (see previous post) which left about 1/8” of plastic to sand using my Ryobi dual disc and belt sander using 80 grit sand paper. Then I hand sanded the edge with 120 grit then 220 grit. When I hand sanded is when I added the rounded edges. Finished the smooth side with 320 grit with my orbital sander. Because I’m absolutely OCD it took me about 3 hours just to do the rear from cutting out the rockguards on the 24”x48” ABS sheet to installing on the truck. To make the template for the rear that took me 2 hours. Again....OCD.

Next is making a template for the front and repeating the same process as the rear.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is as far as I got. I’ll have more pictures soon!!

I have a makeshift “oven” made from a cardboard box and use my Wagner heat gun as a heating source. I put the heat gun on high and heated the headlight a total of 3 times leaving it in the box 15 minutes each time. The sealant used is more of a silicone/rubber than a butyl. I used a combination of a mini flat head screwdriver and a small pry bar. Once the seal was broken at a corner it was easy to pull apart with my hands.

“Oven”:

Here are the pry tools:

An oven made up of a heat gun and cardboard box. Glad it didn’t catch fire!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
An oven made up of a heat gun and cardboard box. Glad it didn’t catch fire!
The plastic housing of the heat gun is touching the cardboard, not the metal tip...and I don’t leave it on unattended

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thats awesome. Thanks. Ive been contemplating a belt/disc sander for the past couple of weeks....more for maintaining the bar on my chainsaw! Guess I have another reason to tell the wife why I need one!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
New front driver and passenger sill plate scuff moldings as well as the rear liftgate sill plate scuff molding. This is an upgrade in my opinion from the aluminum insert ones. They just get scratched up and we’re already scratched when I purchased the vehicle otherwise I would have put clear protective film on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Brembo brake conversion....

Part 1

Wheels: 20x10 et+50 OE Performance Spider Monkey Replicas (p/n 029137GB)
Tires: Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 295/45/20

Part 2

Gathered all the necessary parts

-Front/rear 2020 Dodge Durango SRT Brembo calipers
-Front/rear R1 Concepts GEOMET slotted rotors
-Front/rear Wagner Thermoquiet Semi Metallic brake pads
-New banjo bolts and copper washers
-New rear hydraulic hoses that have the flat end on the correct side so I don’t have to shave down the connection point
-Motive Products power bleeder
-DOT 4 brake fluid

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
New front driver and passenger sill plate scuff moldings as well as the rear liftgate sill plate scuff molding. This is an upgrade in my opinion from the aluminum insert ones. They just get scratched up and we’re already scratched when I purchased the vehicle otherwise I would have put clear protective film on.

I'm so with you on this upgrade. When the truck is brand new the Aluminum plates look nice but after like a day or 3 they already are scratching. Then they look terrible. I was thinking of picking up all new ones but your idea of going solid black I think is the way to go along with the new carbon fiber looking door jam protectors. They look much nicer and are exactly where your feet hit the jam.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Part 2

Gathered all the necessary parts

-Front/rear 2020 Dodge Durango SRT Brembo calipers
-Front/rear R1 Concepts GEOMET slotted rotors
-Front/rear Wagner Thermoquiet Semi Metallic brake pads
-New banjo bolts and copper washers
-New rear hydraulic hoses that have the flat end on the correct side so I don’t have to shave down the connection point
-Motive Products power bleeder
-DOT 4 brake fluid

Love it. I think when it's time for new brakes, This is a fantastic way to go. Better stopping power and way better looks then caliber covers or painting the factory ones.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Brembo Brake conversion

Part 3....installed

I don’t have a firm brake pedal like would like after bleeding the system 2 separate times so I’m going to do it for a 3rd time. If I don’t get the results I want I’ll end up taking it into the shop to have it done for me

Once the sun come out I’ll take some outside pictures

·
Registered
68 Posts
How did it all work out? Were you able to bleed them successfully? How do they feel compared to stock?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
How did it all work out? Were you able to bleed them successfully? How do they feel compared to stock?

For the 3rd time bleeding the brakes I used my one man brake bleeder. I think there was probably some air in the master cylinder so by pumping the brake pedal with the one man brake bleeder it seems to have corrected the mushy brake pedal. When you used the Motive Products Power Bleeder the brake pedal is not pumped because the system is under pressure. I bet if you are just looking to do a brake system flush and not replacing hydraulic brake lines it would have been fine.

The brake pedal does physically travel farther, however, when the pads grab the rotor it stops on a dime. I think because the calipers are bigger and holding more fluid it takes more brake pedal travel to engage the pads on the rotors. So I would say the brake pedal is not as sensitive/firm compared to stock (which I personally didn’t care for) but the truck definitely brakes better!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Chrome plating removal from fog light trim rings. Going to paint them gloss black and clear with spraymax 2K gloss. Hopefully this will hold up better than scuffing the chrome with a scotchbrite and using krylon gloss black and clear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Chrome plating removal from fog light trim rings. Going to paint them gloss black and clear with spraymax 2K gloss. Hopefully this will hold up better than scuffing the chrome with a scotchbrite and using krylon gloss black and clear.

How did you remove the chrome?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
This is the bleach method. Takes a while...like days. I’ve also tried doing interior trim pieces like the air vent chrome trim and the easy off nor bleach isn’t working. I’m trying muriatic acid at the moment to see if that works.

Easy off heavy duty oven cleaner did NOT work!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
New front rockguards that extend higher into the wheel well and wider because of the 20x10 295/45/20 setup. Install pics coming soon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
New extended rockguard installed on the passenger side. Old rockguard for reference in last picture.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts