Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some pointers on why the front blower motor has quit working. 2 years old and 37000 miles. Working one day and now it does not. Fuse is good.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
BB:
Does your D have the manual or auto HVAC? Could also be the blower resistor module. Have you located the blower under the dash? Check to see if the harness connector is securely attached. If so, you should find another harness connector on the HVAC box nearby. That should be the control module. Be sure that the connector is attached properly. If you like, you can also remove the 2 or 3 (usually) screws that secure the module to the HVAC box, and see if it looks burned or otherwise damaged.

Don

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Or take it into the dealer to replace under warranty.
You might have to argue with the service advisor but tell them to get FCA on the phone as you want assistance covering it under warranty if they are telling you its not covered.
Especially at 2yrs and just 1K outside bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the motor and the resistor out. All the connections are clean, no burn marks or melting. I took the items to the dealership to see if they could bench test the motor to see if it is working or not. Reply was no it would all have to be put back together so they could check with their computer. The diagnosis would cost 200.00. The motor is about 160.00 and the resistor is about 250.00. Before I start spending that kind of money is there a way to bench test the motor to see if the motor works?

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
BB:
WOW! I would not expect the resistor module to be more than the blower motor. You must have the auto climate control, because the resistor packs for the manual ones are usually $50 or less.

You should be able to apply 12 volts to the motor to see if it runs. Try to determine which wire is positive, etc, before apply the power. Now a days, ground is black or green, and positive can be any color other than those. There might be a +/- marked on the connector.

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I checked motor out. It works. Then I decided just for kicks I would connect everything together and give it a try. Everything worked. What the heck. Before re-installing everything is it possible for the resistor to be working intermittently or the blower motor to work and then not work or am I looking at something else that could be wrong? I know so many questions.

·
Super Moderator
12,739 Posts
could be just dirty contacts somewhere..

There are a few variations in the blower circuitry for the WD/WK2 platform; I don't think any of them are a simple resistor block like in the old (2003) days..

I'd put it all back together and hope for the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts