Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We have a 2016 Durango R/T with the tow package. It has both the connections for a trailer including the round one for a trailer with electric brakes. We recently purchased a larger boat that has a trailer with electric and surge brakes. The last owner gave us an adapter for the trailer wiring to allow it to fit into the round plug. When I was cleaning out the storage in the back I found Part #68269724AA Electric Brake kit in a package uninstalled. Does this mean that even though I had the adapter plugged in the brakes were not working? What is required to hook this up and do I need anything else for the electric brakes on the trailer to work? Thanks, John

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,100 Posts
Do you have a aftermarket trailer brake controller installed already? If not that kit is the wiring interface to a brake controller.

Here's a link to Etrailer for Brake Controllers and accessories.....

Reactions: Urbish

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi. We have a 2016 Durango R/T with the tow package. It has both the connections for a trailer including the round one for a trailer with electric brakes. We recently purchased a larger boat that has a trailer with electric and surge brakes. The last owner gave us an adapter for the trailer wiring to allow it to fit into the round plug. When I was cleaning out the storage in the back I found Part #68269724AA Electric Brake kit in a package uninstalled. Does this mean that even though I had the adapter plugged in the brakes were not working? What is required to hook this up and do I need anything else for the electric brakes on the trailer to work? Thanks, John
2016 R/T didn’t come with a factory brake controller installed, only prewired. So yes the electric trailer brakes were not working.

Is the adapter you’re using similar to this?

BA268216-94ED-4AA0-B12A-211F87354DD8.jpeg

8BB81EFB-DB34-4E03-B550-78D23F0A6622.jpeg

·
Registered
363 Posts
Show us a picture of the hitch of your trailer and whatever this thing is the PO gave you.
I’m guessing you have no idea what the weight of the boat and trailer is....with everything added.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts