Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone:

I have a 2015 Dodge Durango, since we purchased it used we have noticed a loud high pitch whistle with the engine off. It usually happens right after turning off the truck and will last anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds. It doesn't happen every time the engine is turned off, but often enough that we've noticed it and it has become a nuisance. I have taken it to the dealer and most of the guys there are older and can not hear the noise because it is such high frequency. That and because it doesn't happen every time. I have noticed it sometimes while the engine is at idle and then it will go away. Each time I hear it I try to pop the hood and quickly move EVAC hoses to see if I can notice a change in sound or locate the sound, but have not been able to find anything.
I read a couple forums that pointed to something with the AC system. However, AC system works great, no leaks, no fluid found anywhere. Does the AC system have some type of air relief valve?
Thanks for any help

Below are bullet points...

-High pitch air whistle noise from engine compartment
-Notice it mostly when engine is first turned off
-Last anywhere from not at all to 30 seconds
-Sometimes will hear it when truck is idling
-Does not happen all the time/every time engine is turned off
-No OBD engine codes

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I would create a log and track temp, distance driven, AC on or off and get to the point where you can duplicate the noise so you have a better chance of finding the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess, electric fans slowing down.

Try this. Open hood. Stand in front of car. Note things like fans moving. Have someone shut engine off.

Tell us what you see and hear.
It doesn't sound like a fan or electrical issue. Sounds more like air is being pushed or pulled out of something. Almost like letting air out of a ballon while pulling the ends apart. High pitched

·
Registered
273 Posts
Then let's go with abs system depressurizing or ac/coolant system just going through shut down etc.

Nothing to worry about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts