Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

The cherry bomb has developed a pinhole leak in the vertical hose section of this assembly.
I'm shopping for a replacement, and pricing the options. So far it looks like an Amazon purchase.

I have a question about this hose though.
It has kind of an out and back loop in it.
Could someone explain why?
I mean, whats stopping me from buying a much shorter hose, with the proper fittings on the end, and using that? (Read that as CHEAPER hose!)
I could save a ton of money.

BTW, this leak was found by removing the bottom shield plate, the one with the hole in it for changing the oil. It came off with 7 bolts and 1 plastic rivet.
Then I had to run the engine, more that 5 minutes or so.
Because I haven't actually ordered the new hose assembly yet, I put in some Barr's power steering stop leak. It has slowed it down some.

The leak is right in the middle of the rubber section, not near a connector, and there is nothing to rub on the hose at that location. I'm feeling like that's a defect in the quality of the rubber, and wishing I could get some kind of coverage on it, but, alas, I m out of warranty.

Thank you,
Greg

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Short answer: FCA would've made it as cheap as allowable, while still being reliable and safe.
Long answer; (sorry) ;) It's designed like that to limit chafing during any driving scenario and mitigate it's damage. Most hypothetical actions, whether a bump in the road, all the way to a front end collision has to be taken into account when designing it's application. There have been safety recalls in some cars due to hoses rupturing, getting onto hot components, causing a fire hazard (the 2013-2014 Nissan Murano comes to mind --- bad mojo).
PS juice really isn't THAT flammable, but it will ignite under certain conditions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PS juice really isn't THAT flammable, but it will ignite under certain conditions.
Good to know.
I have to drive it in the meantime, so I'll be sure I have an extinguisher handy, just in case.

The leak slowly drips down to the bottom shield plate, then to the ground.
It does not appear to be spraying or flying all over.

Thank you,
Greg

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Maybe duct tape until replacement?
Just note you'll have to bleed the system...not hard but requires both front wheels off the ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts