Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a travel trailer trailer with GVWR of 5,300 lbs. The most I think the trailer weight will be is 6,500 lbs. I have a 2014 Durango with a hemi, trannie cooler including heavy engine cooling. My concern is 3.09 differential. Of course when towing I will take it out of econo mode. What does econo mode do? Does it change the differential from 3.09 to 3.45 or does it basically take it out of over drive. The manual does state my Durango is rated to pull 7,500 lbs.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, there's no way to electronically change a rear end gear ratio, but who knows what someone like Tesla is working on. That's a mechanical ratio between the ring and pinion gears so pushing a button won't change the number of teeth on each gear. You'll be happy you have the 3.09 when you're cruising on the highway at 70mph with the cruise control set and the AC blasting getting 12-14mpg. The power of the Hemi with the 8 gears of the ZF trans will be enough to pass slower cars, even with 6500 of weight behind you.

The eco-mode changes how the transmission shifts to keep the engine RPM's as low as possible, which saves you some gas. That's about it, as far as I can tell. This is a bad thing for towing when you want to build RPM and get deeper into the Hemi's powerband, especially in lower gears, to get a heavier load moving.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
They put 3.09's in the rear end because they now have the 8 speed auto. The 3.45's were there in previous years because they had only a 6 spd tranny.

·
Super Moderator
12,587 Posts
eco mode just changes the shift map, it doesn't really do a heck of a lot on the V8 version IMHO.

Your axle ratio is fine, that's what all them gears are for! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eco mode just changes the shift map, it doesn't really do a heck of a lot on the V8 version IMHO.

Your axle ratio is fine, that's what all them gears are for! :)

Thanks for the info. I did pull the trailer the other day, from storage to home: about 20 miles, most of it on the freeway. It had plenty of power. It stayed between 5th and 6th gear, going 60 mph. Transmission temp stayed below 190degf. It was +90degf ambient temperature.
Previously, I pulled the trailer with an Excursion with V10. Durango performance is pretty darn close to the Excursion. I was just concerned about the 3.09 rear end.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 Citadel, 5.7 Hemi, tow package, 3.09 gears, 8 speed trans, and although the advertising says up to 7400 lbs. for towing...there is a door sticker with GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) and mine say's 7100 lbs....I tow a 2014 Sport Trek 250 VRK about 28 feet in length with a GVRW of 6500 lbs. This weight is the average rolling weight with tanks and propane. I have not had the RV weight certified but plan to in October 2015. I have a standard weight distribution hitch and a friction sway control with top speed of about 60 mph. I do have some sway in wind and when 18 wheelers pass so...I am looking to change to an Equalizer 12K, 4 Point Hitch. Anyone have experience towing this size RV and if so what hitch do you use?

·
Registered
324 Posts
They put 3.09's in the rear end because they now have the 8 speed auto. The 3.45's were there in previous years because they had only a 6 spd tranny.
3.09 is with the V8. 3.45 is with the V6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Citadel identical to yours.
I have an RV which weighs about 5,500 lbs. , 4700 empty. 28' long. I have a sway bar and the trailer sways the same as you explained above, but not too bad. I have only travelled a short distance with it (80 miles one way) but will be travelling 300 miles this weekend, 600 miles round trip. My biggest concern is the 22 gallon gas tank. Wish it was bigger. I am averaging about 9 to 10mpg which means I will get about 180 to 200 miles per tank. It gets kind of scary in the west, gas stations are sometimes hard to find.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Fuel capacity is close to 25 gal.
So that leaves 22 usable gals leaving a 3 gal reserve so 200-220 miles towing per tank.

Agree, wish there was a 32 gal fuel tank option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jprocha, sounds like the same type of tow vehicle (TV) and almost identical travel trailer (TT). I have gone on other forums about different hitches, tire pressure, loading, tongue weight...you name it I have heard it. The TV has enough power, I just have some sway when passed by a 18 wheeler. I believe it is the weight distribution hitch (WD) with a friction sway bar system. I am looking at a Equilizer 10k, WD, 4 point sway control hitch to replace the Generic WD hitch in October. I get 9-10 towing and average 14.5 mpg from tank to tank. I called Dodge and found out about towing capacity and they directed me to the driver door sticker...look for GVWR...bet you think it is 7400 lbs like I did but mine is 7100 lbs...still enough for our TT's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is Awesome, can you give me few specs on your trailer. My wife and I plan on buying a trailer this summer and so many people have told us to get a pick up but I like the Durango and flexibility of the rear row seating.

Model of trailer?
GVW of Trailer?
Any upgrades to the Durango?

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is Awesome, can you give me few specs on your trailer. My wife and I plan on buying a trailer this summer and so many people have told us to get a pick up but I like the Durango and flexibility of the rear row seating.

Model of trailer?
GVW of Trailer?
Any upgrades to the Durango?
It's a Keystone Passport 2810BH with a GVWR of 7200. I estimate (after hitting the scales) that the trailer weighs about 6500 with all of our stuff.

No upgrades on the Durango. Just a standard RT with the Hemi, AWD, and tow package.

When you're towing something this large you have to be careful to not exceed the GVWR and GCWR of the Durango so it's important to do your homework ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
We also have a 2014 RT, V8 Hemi, AWD with Blue Ox WD hitch and tow a 2015 Airstream 28. We have 4K miles on it so far (through OR, WA, ID, MT, UT, AZ, NV and CA) and love the combination.

After loading up for our recent big trip, we went to the scales and made sure that (measured values from scale are shown in ()s.)
1) Durango GVW was under the 7100 lbs (6900 lbs)
2) the combined vehicle + trailer + people + everything was < 13100 lbs. (12900 lbs)
3) the trailer weight was < 7200 lbs (6000 lbs)

Yes we pushed the limits on weight but did not exceed limits. We hold Dodge to what they claim it can do. We rather do this and have the great manuverability of the Durango, which is my wife's everyday driver, versus having a big truck which she would hate 100% of the time while not towing, and which can be a pain in tight campgrounds and parking lots while towing.

We typically set the adaptive cruise control at 64 mph and feel comfortable and in control. My wife has 800 miles in the driver seat, most of which with her driving alone (while my daughter and I were on support motorcycles. ;-)) The engine is very strong and we can maintain 60+ mph up the 6% grades. The tranny is awesome as there are so many gears to choose from.

Mileage ranged between 11.5 and 15 mpg (peaked once with a tail wind) – usually around 11-12 mpg. On the longer downgrades we’d use engine speed (with paddle shifters) and touch the Prodigy trailer brake controller every once in a while to keep speed in the 55-60 mph range or less depending on conditions, curves and length of the hill.

Works for us.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VinceP, I pulled the trailer 600 miles last week and it did great. It swayed slightly when passed by 18 wheelers. There was significant improvement by inflating my rear tires to maximum capacity, 51 psi. I am going to stick with the current hitch and friction sway bar for now. On the interstate I towed at 65 mph and got 9-10 mpg. Plenty of power, transmission temp 185-190 and oil temp 230. And ambient temp was 100 degf!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes be very careful about sway. This is what happened to me on Friday. Shut down interstate 40 just 17 miles from Needles, Ca.
Maybe the trailer was too much for the Durango?
bottom.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes its amazing how lucky we were. We all walked away and the Durango only had a little scratch on the faring under the door. Also I found out later that the hitch is pretty jacked up and bent. That's not going to be cheap to fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes be very careful about sway. This is what happened to me on Friday. Shut down interstate 40 just 17 miles from Needles, Ca.
Maybe the trailer was too much for the Durango?
View attachment 24167
Goldbender, Please if you would share some more details about this accident so we can avoid.
What was the length and weight of the trailer?
What kind of hitch?
Strong wind or other unusual conditions?
Speed?

Thanks and sorry this happened to you, but really glad you are all okay.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts