Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all in D land. I know this topic has mileage regarding 3 gen D's, but I think more needs to be done in regards to 2014 D's and getting warranty action. A sticky would be appreciated to get visibility on the forum.
Our D has a terrible knock or rattle in the left and right rear corners when going over quick bumps like rumble strips, small potholes, train tracks and cobblestone surfaces. It sounds like the older hi mileage cars that have bad strut mounts in the front. I heard this in at least two other D's I drove prior to purchasing.
I made a warranty call to have it looked at. I appeared at the dealership and even took the tech for a ride where we both agreed that there is a noise that is not normal in the rear corners. At this point, the D was put on the rack and inspected, and I believe another ride that I was not part of.
The wind up is that my D was given back and nothing was done. I was told, and noted on the RO, that there is a noise, the noise is heard on other Durangos, and that the truck is safe. I can return if it gets worse, and that no TSB's apply to the issue. I guess I have an open case.
Off paper, I was told that they would peruse it, and to keep checking back if a TSB surfaces. I take that meaning that they know about the issue, are working on it, and won't be throwing parts at my D. I can live with that, but I don't think ANY new vehicle should make noise like this.
What I'm asking the club for is to post here if you have a similar noise, and to take action at your dealer if you haven't already. Perhaps we can cause something good to happen for all of us.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got it. Left rear only I believe.

related question - is there a PN for a mount / shock that is causing the noise? If so I'd consider buying and installing myself to avoid dealer run-around.

·
Premium Member
28,307 Posts
Very common on 3rd Generation D's
STEVE

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have the towing package? I've heard that the auto-leveling shocks are to blame.
No tow but It is sport (R/T). Said in the sticker.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got it. Left rear only I believe.

related question - is there a PN for a mount / shock that is causing the noise? If so I'd consider buying and installing myself to avoid dealer run-around.
No flippin way! After what we paid for our rides? This is starting to remind me of the ball joint deal on my '98 D. If it gets there, I'll let the real engineers at MOOG burn oil and they'll come out with a problem solver part!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to reiterate- I have nothing against my dealer. They probably know more than they're letting on and wont install more junk. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's the stupid self-leveling shocks. WK2 owners have been battling this since 2011. That's why I didn't want the tow package.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same here on my 2014 R/T. Had it back once and nothing fixed yet. It will be going back again. Hopefully next week.
Please keep us in the loop. Is this the second visit for the same problem?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's the stupid self-leveling shocks. WK2 owners have been battling this since 2011. That's why I didn't want the tow package.
I don't think I have a self leveling setup. I know my rear shocks are AA's

·
Registered
56 Posts
this issue is real and has been hashed out numerous times...my dealer replaced mine a few weeks ago, solved the problem...I think the new parts end in AH.

your dealer is brushing you off for whatever reason, probably because he'd rather get $100/hr work vs whatever chrysler pays them for warranty work! seriously, it's a known issue - be firm and get the new mounts (yes, do both sides at the same time) and new struts or go to another dealer who'd be happy to do your warranty work and sell you your next car......good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
No flippin way! After what we paid for our rides? This is starting to remind me of the ball joint deal on my '98 D. If it gets there, I'll let the real engineers at MOOG burn oil and they'll come out with a problem solver part!
Absolutely... maybe.

If it were, say, a $100 part and able to be installed as easily as a shock or shock mount, I would 100% rather change it out myself than go through what others have - multiple trips to the dealer, no resolution, being told to start an internet post about it, then wait around while my 45k truck clunks over every lump in the road never knowing if it would be taken care of. I'd rather be done with it under my own power.

That's why I was asking what the PN# was if people knew the culprit - to see if was a $100 fix or a $500 fix.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We have a 14 with the tow package. The dealer replaced the AA shocks with AH shocks. No more noise from the rear. We just completed a 1600 mile trip and did not have any noise from the rear end. I know there is also a TSB to replace shock mounts for some D's depending on the build date. Ours fell outside of the affected dates.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have had the rear shocks replaced 4 months ago and it did nothing, then the tsb came out about the mounts and they were replaced a month ago and the thumping noise is gone but the insane rattling noise is worse than ever, had it back at dealer twice in the last month and they say they cant duplicate the noise, last time I went there I grabbed the service writer threw him in the truck and drove down the block from the dealer and REMARKABLE he heard it with me in the truck, now there is an open case on it (what ever the heck that means) this is really amazing that we need to go through this on brand new vehicles and stay away from cust. service I had a woman call me back from there and openly told me she knew nothing about cars (I hung up) no time for that nonsense. The dealer gets one more shot then I go the Lemon route.
Good Luck People, post if anyone gets a resolve for this and I will do the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem with my 14 Limited Hemi without tow package. Also, recently I have started to notice some sound in the interior coming from the 3rd row. It sounds like something in not fixed in place or let loose. Anyone else facing the same issues?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got the service survey email from dodge. I let them have it over this.

Reactions: shortydurango
1 - 20 of 25 Posts