Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Durango with 3.6L engine. It started skipping real bad a couple of days ago but I am not getting any messages or check engine light but I put a code reader on it anyway and it said #2 cylinder was misfiring, car runs decent with just a slight skip if I turn off Eco. It has 96000+ and I am thinking it needs plugs and maybe at least 1 coil pack, problem is I am not sure of procedure of getting to plugs and I have never changed any coil packs. Can someone please tell me how I do this on the 14 Durango 3.6L v6. THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Plug change on the 3.6L is pretty involved. You have to remove the intake to access them all.
Just do a Youtube search, there are plenty of videos showing the procedure and then you can decide if you have the tools to do or if you just want to pay someone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 Durango with 3.6L engine. It started skipping real bad a couple of days ago but I am not getting any messages or check engine light but I put a code reader on it anyway and it said #2 cylinder was misfiring, car runs decent with just a slight skip if I turn off Eco. It has 96000+ and I am thinking it needs plugs and maybe at least 1 coil pack, problem is I am not sure of procedure of getting to plugs and I have never changed any coil packs. Can someone please tell me how I do this on the 14 Durango 3.6L v6. THANK YOU!!!!
I had the same problem on my 2012 V6 Durango two years ago and i took it to the dealer and i think they did only a system update but i'm not sure

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
TM:
Your issue is likely more involved than plugs. Being a '14, you should have powertrain warranty left. Consider having the dealer check it. The issue may be covered under warranty.

Don

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently experienced this issue in my '11. the check engine light popped on for a few hours then didnt come back on again. got to the garage and i had the same code, cylinder 2 misfire. went into the dealership as i am still under A certified preowned warranty. apparently this is a common issue with the Pentastar v6 and has a factory warranty of up to 150k miles for the '11. I am not sure of the limit on the warranty of the '14.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Some of the early pentastars had head casting issues from what I read and other posts seemed to point to a combo of the type of fuel used along with certain driving conditions...never saw it clarified but that lead to the extended warranty and several changes to the head design. I think FCA even stopped casting the heads in Mexico? and only now cast them in one plant..but that might not be totally accurate.

What is known is that there have been issues with the heads and with that any mis-fire should be taken to the dealer if before 5 yrs or 100K miles. The plug replacement is 100K, so there should not be any mis-fire before then and its rare for coils to go bad in my experience.
This issue should be covered under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts