Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings...

I have a 2013 Citadel which is on it's third driver side HID low beam ballast. The HID low beam has failed again and Mopar Lifetime warranty is refusing to replace the ballast again, instead saying I need to replace the entire driver side headlight assembly (68086318AE @ $1270) which is not a covered part/repair under the warranty.

Apparently, the wiring harness/connectors from the ballast to the HID low beam lamp, is a common point of failure, and the only way to order new parts is to purchase a new assembly. I have read, the wiring harness is very tight run between the ballast and the HID lamp, such that harness strain and connector positioning can contribute to failures. I thought about lengthening this part of the harness to provide a little more play between the ballast and the HID lamp.

I would note, there is a less costly halogen low beam assembly (55079366AD $300), where everything in the assembly is the same, except the low beam is halogen and not the self leveling HID.

However, I have heard from several sources, the assemblies are not interchangeable, because the wiring harness for the HID is difference, all the way back to the controller board connection.

I have been waiting for some nicer weather to test the voltage at the HID low beam ballast connection to see if it is 12 volt, hoping maybe cutting in a new pigtail & connector for a halogen lamp socket, might make switching to the cheaper headlight assembly possible.

I uess at this point, I'd welcome any feedback regarding the risks of forcing the switch to the halogen option.

I assume, if I did any damage to the up stream controller board, I might void the warranty of any covered up steam parts.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Byte

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would definitely not recommend swapping to halogen. If your headlight assembly is in good condition I would just source the ballast and wiring harness yourself. It looks like your OEM ballast is made by Valeo. There's plenty available on eBay, here's one example...

That listing is for 2 ballast, 2 bulbs and 2 wiring harnesses. That same seller also sells them individually as well.

Good Luck..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you Ramman95.

Can you confirm access to the ballast, harness and lamp can be done via the wheel well. by unzipping the liner?

Thanks
Ive done both sides. Drivers side, last year. Passenger, about a month ago. I used dorman ballast from amazon. No issues. However, getting to the ballast will take some work. I have the R/T and I had to remove the front grille and quarter panel to access the three bolts securing the headlamp assembly. Once its loose, you can flip the assembly to reach the ballast. Its a bit tedious, but dealer wanted $1500 to replace the ENTIRE headlamp assembly, so it was worth it.😁

1 - 5 of 5 Posts