Dodge Durango Forum banner

2013 Hemi Citadel - Rough Idle, stall, won't restart

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ben13DurangoHemiCit 
#1 ·
New guy here but not new to vehicle issues! To start off, I have had all of the recalls completed, have about 61,000 miles on it. This is the second time it has had this issue. I was waiting in the drive-thru line to get dinner and all of the sudden the idle started to get a bit rough. Then it started to get worse and worse and when I left the drive-thru window and applied the gas there was nearly no acceleration. It felt like it was starving for fuel. Luckily I was able to limp it to a parking spot as it was sputtering the whole way. After I parked, I turned it off. Now it will not start. I checked the diagnostics on the HUD and all temps were good and I also checked the oil and smelled it and didn't notice anything wrong there. The last time it went to the dealer with this issue it had died the evening before and had it towed. The next morning they started it up with no problems and no codes and therefore no resolution. This was nearly 6 months ago. Today the CEL came on(not sure what the code is) after it was nearly stalled. Anyone else had this rough idle/stall issue?

I plan to go back to where it is parked and try to start it again in the morning.

#2 ·
I have but its probably unrelated to yours. I have been running a HT Interceptor that has fritzed out. I finally pulled it the other day and ordered a Diablosport Trinity. the symptoms are the same though so it may give you some clues. the HT Interceptor plugged into 3 sensors; the MAP, the Cam sensor and the Intake Air Temp sensor. when the Interceptor would fritz out I would get a rough idle that would very quickly progress into a almost total loss of power along with a jerky idle even in P and finally a shutdown that would not restart. I would have to unplug the Interceptor main module and then plug it back in and then all would be good with the world.

of those 3 sensors, I'm betting the Cam position sensor was the main culprit. I've had a cam sensor go before in a 1999 Dodge Intrepid ES and it would not start at all. and I don't remember getting a code. or if I did, it was only when it was obvious something was major wrong.

I would put the cam sensor at the top of your list to check. I would also check the connector. its very easy to reach, up near the top front of the HEMI on the passenger side.

#4 ·
Ben your durango is covered by the fuel Pump relay recall, make sure that has been done
Also have you done the Spark plugs since its new the factory plugs in 13 were 30000 mile rated
STEVE

#6 ·
So I went back to the D (checked the Camshaft Position Sensor connector and it was good) and it started right up but immediately shut down (no hesitation). Then I started it again and it started right up but then after about 10 seconds shutdown. Then started it a third time and it stayed running. I drove it about a mile to the dealership (got lucky where it quit on me last night) and when I pulled into the service garage, as I came to a stop it died right there. Funny that when they went to move it, it started right back up again fine. They got it in to look at it today and said that it had a loose ground wire near the frame. Also got my oil and spark plugs changed. I will be picking it up shortly and will post up the code. I hope this is really the issue and I don't have another faulty TIPM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.