Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver-side door:
Door won't stay open; always drifts back to close, even on flat surfaces. Read some historical complaints; attributing problem cause to poor hinge design. No quick/easy corrective action identified, short of replacing hinges. I intend to order new hinges and try to replace them myself. If anyone in forum has a strong opinion that this plan is flawed and ill-advised, please let me know. If any lessons-learned hints about unbolting hinges, taking off door, replacing hinges with new, and putting door back on, please let me know that as well.

Passenger-side door:
In the process of troubleshooting driver-side door hinges, I was opening/closing passenger-side door to get idea of how well those hinges behaved. Good news is passenger side door will stay open, but what I did notice is that there is now a hollow "metallish" ringing sound generated when opening and close door. Door sounds cheap, not solid/firm. It is a definite and distinctive change in how the door used to sound. Not only can you hear it when door hits hard against it's final closing stop, but you can hear it when you first pull the door handle. It's not my biggest worry at the moment and I guess I could probably live with it. Just thought I'd toss it out to the forum, while I was on the subject of doors.

Thanks all,
Ron .

·
Registered
Billet Silver Metallic 2014 R/T RWD
67 Posts
Driver-side door:
Door won't stay open; always drifts back to close, even on flat surfaces. Read some historical complaints; attributing problem cause to poor hinge design. No quick/easy corrective action identified, short of replacing hinges. I intend to order new hinges and try to replace them myself. If anyone in forum has a strong opinion that this plan is flawed and ill-advised, please let me know. If any lessons-learned hints about unbolting hinges, taking off door, replacing hinges with new, and putting door back on, please let me know that as well.

Passenger-side door:
In the process of troubleshooting driver-side door hinges, I was opening/closing passenger-side door to get idea of how well those hinges behaved. Good news is passenger side door will stay open, but what I did notice is that there is now a hollow "metallish" ringing sound generated when opening and close door. Door sounds cheap, not solid/firm. It is a definite and distinctive change in how the door used to sound. Not only can you hear it when door hits hard against it's final closing stop, but you can hear it when you first pull the door handle. It's not my biggest worry at the moment and I guess I could probably live with it. Just thought I'd toss it out to the forum, while I was on the subject of doors.

Thanks all,
Ron .
I'm having this issue with my passenger side door, stupid thing won't stay open. Dealer quoted me $319 for new hinge, paint, and installation. Looking for other alternatives myself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
yes it will be the hinge...it's a common thing, no real fix other then replacing it...i myself have a 2011 and just replaced both front doors lower hinges...i went to a you pull wreckers and paid $10 for the pair...sure they may be white and my DD is black...but the doors is closed most of the time so i dont care...i would suggest you look for a you pull yard around you..here in canada DD's are very scarce to find in a you pull yard but ive seen many in the states. replacing them is quite simple...all you need is a 13mm wrench and some time to put it back on and to align.

·
Registered
Billet Silver Metallic 2014 R/T RWD
67 Posts
yes it will be the hinge...it's a common thing, no real fix other then replacing it...i myself have a 2011 and just replaced both front doors lower hinges...i went to a you pull wreckers and paid $10 for the pair...sure they may be white and my DD is black...but the doors is closed most of the time so i dont care...i would suggest you look for a you pull yard around you..here in canada DD's are very scarce to find in a you pull yard but ive seen many in the states. replacing them is quite simple...all you need is a 13mm wrench and some time to put it back on and to align.
Thanks for the great information. I was looking at the door a couple of days ago and saw that it had 2 hinges ( one top & one bottom), is it usually the lower hinges that fails?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts