Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to bite the bullet and buy a 392 to put in my Durango R/T.

Since mine is AWD, I have decided to remove the transfer case and put on the tail housing off the RWD model and because mine is a 2012, and the engine is out of a 2014 Challenger, I'll have to use my engine harness on the 6.4L.

I've got the 5.7L pulled out, and the 6.4L will be here either tomorrow, or Tuesday, from Texas.

I also have 3.45 rear-end gears, so I'll probably leave that alone for now, but I have talked with two torque converter shops that can supply me with a torque converter fairly cheap for my 65RFE ranging between 2800 and 3200 stall, but I've not made up my mind on where I want to stall, yet. Currently I stall at 2300, and that's just not going to work anymore. After the engine is installed, I'll be dealing with HemiFever for tuning.

IMG_20181007_123547.jpg

IMG_20181008_165950.jpg

IMG_63851_01.jpg

IMG_63861.jpg

IMG_20181012_190830.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Parts ordered from Luke at Steve White Motors, who is awesome by the way. I got Comp 274 cam, phaser lock, PSI spring kit, new non-MDS (hellcat) lifters, gaskets/seals, etc.
View attachment 101958

Springs installed.
IMG_20181212_162110.jpg

Installing phaser lock.
IMG_20181214_011153.jpg

Removed/Plugged MDS solenoids.
IMG_20181214_033552.jpg

Back together, aside from the water pump, which is done now.
IMG_20181228_033747.jpg

New 3000 stall converter, compliments of Tony at Total Transmission of Chicago.
IMG_20181230_231302.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
Interex:
Looks like your project is coming along nicely. From reading your plan, I get that you are changing your D from AWD to RWD. Since you are in Texas, I imagine the AWD is unnecessary most of the time. Since you have the 5 speed trans, I think the 3.45 gear set will work out fine. Without the 8 speed trans, going much shorter gear wise will raise your cruising rpms quite a bit.

Don

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I've had a few setbacks, which definitely were not expected.

1: The 6.4L (out of an automatic 2014 Challenger) had a pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft. This prevented the torque converter from aligning and mating together. This really confused me. So I borrowed the bushing/bearing puller from AutoZone and welded a little lip on the bushing to grab onto it and pull it out.
IMG_20190102_235940.jpg

2: The torque converter I received was for non-Hemi applications, such as the 5.2L, and 5.9L Magnums. It uses a 5/16 threaded torque converter bolt, whereas on the Hemi we use the M10 bolt. I contacted the place I got it and they're taking care of resolving the issue by sending out the correct converter on Monday.
IMG_20190103_224904.jpg

3: While I did pre-measure some things before getting ready to install this engine in the Durango, I failed to make sure the exhaust manifold that came on my 6.4L would fit properly on the drivers side. Unfortunately it doesn't. It is literally sitting against the steering shaft and part of the tubular frame. So with that said, I contacted Steve White's and ordered a set of the Grand Cherokee SRT manifolds, studs, and gaskets to use in the Durango. Only cost me $350 delivered.
IMG_20190103_234358.jpg

4: The transmission that I have in my Durango is the 645RFE (6 speed), which will mate up to the 6.4L SRT engine, however the lower structural cover used on the 5.7L Hemi will not bolt to the rear/bottom half of the 6.4L engine. This isn't a huge deal, but the lower four bell-housing bolts will not be usable in this configuration. I will ultimately have to get my local machine shop to manufacture a custom cover/adapter to get this to mount to the rear/bottom of the engine.

So as of right now, we wait for the new GC SRT exhaust manifolds, and the correct torque converter to arrive and then try again. :p

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Sweet.
Didn't know you could use the 5.7 harness....but I guess the only thing that would not be connected is the intake and there is a way around that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
For the older model, such as the 2012, which has 4 smaller connectors on the ECM, you have to use the harness that was on the 5.7L. If you have a newer model that only has 2 large connectors on the ECM, you can actually use the harness from the 6.4L as it's independent of the vehicle and plugs right into the ECM.

There is some information regarding the crank position sensor, and the tone ring on the crankshaft, the tooth count, etc, but so far the only thing I've been able to uncover is that I might have to use the CPS from the 5.7L and not the one from the 6.4L.

Regardless, this all requires a custom tune to make it all work and run right.

My next hurdle will be changing the rear differential. I though about swapping the one from the SRT Grand Cherokee to get me a 3.70:1 rear end gear, but it has eLSD, which the Durango doesn't have, so I'm not 100% sure it would even work. My next option would be to make tear apart the differential housing and swap the ring and pinion for the 3.90 ring/pinion from the SRT Challenger. I just haven't invested much time into the rear differentials in these vehicles. I'm sure with some good fab work I could even swap in the entire rear differential from a Challenger.

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
I don't know what the balance situation is for the 392. The 5.2l and 5.9l engines use different convertors and flex plates as the engines are balanced differently, 55.2 is internally balanced and the 5.9 is externally balanced. Verify how the 392 is balanced and get the right convertor or you can damage the engine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What? That's not how things work. If the engine is internally balanced, and a torque converter and flexplate are manufactured correctly, they should be neutral, thus not affecting the balance of the engine. If the engine is externally balanced, the flexplate and damper will have weights added.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
New SRT manifolds are here.
Nice, can you take a picture of the collector?
Wondering if there are 4 or 3 tubes.
The older Jeep 6.1L SRT manifolds had just 3 due to the tight fit as compared to the LX 6.1L manifolds.

On rear diffs. you also have the 3.45 option from the V6's.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Same design as the ones on the 5.7L...note the manifolds on your donor 6.4L are more like shorty headers. That is how the 1st gen SRT Jeeps were.
Shows how good log manifolds can flow if designed right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, the ones that came on the 6.4 are tubular. It is unfortunate that they won't fit correctly in the Durango. I probably could have used my original manifolds off my 5.7 but I was more worried that they wouldn't flow as well as these new ones. They do appear different, even inside the manifold looks different.

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
Interex, that is what I'm getting at. The 5.9 is externally balanced while the 5.2 is internally balanced. Therefor the flex plate is different, due to the bob weight on the 5.9 plate and the convertors are different. Interchange them and balance of the engine is ruined. You need to know how the engine is balanced to get the right stuff. You can't just say it's for a small block and have it work right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The torque converter is a neutral piece. As long as it fits your transmission and flexplate, you'll have no problems. I'm using a torque converter made for my transmission with the same mounting location as my flexplate. Since the 5.7 and 6.4 are both internally balanced, I'm not worried. The issue I ran into is that they sent me a torque converter used with the 45RFE instead of the 645RFE, which is being remedied by them sending me the correct converter for my transmission. The main question should be, how long will the 645RFE stand up to the 6.4L before it craps out. ?

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
great question.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Any news on your project? Interesting to follow!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts