Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2012 Citadel with this package:
The Trailer Tow Package includes:
Class IV receiver hitch
4- and 7-pin wiring harness
Heavy-duty engine cooling
Rear load-leveling suspension which adjusts the ride height of Dodge Durango for optimum handling and control
220-amp alternator
Full-size spare tire

I just took it into my dealer for my last shot at the bumper to bumper warrantee, and asked them to check the load-leveling suspension. i have never heard or noticed it doing anything (my previous GM vehicle with load leveling had air bags and a compressor, and I'd hear it run to level the load when I carried a trailer or heavy cargo basket).
The tech at my dealer comes back after the service, and asks what I was talking about. He doesn't see anything under the car that would classify as a load leveler. No airbags (apparently the Jeep Grand Cherokee has them), and nothing else he can identify. No mention of it in his tech manuals, or the owners manual.

So, what is Dodge talking about with this load leveling stuff? Anyone know?

Love the Citadel.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
it is all internal to the rear shock absorbers. They self-adjust the ride height internally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I wondered if there was something special about the rear shocks. They appear significantly larger diameter than standard.
How do they work? Do they simply self-adjust as they bounce during driving?
Also, on start-up, the headlights seem to move up and then down (like some of the cars in Europe). Are they self-leveling, too?

Mike

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Good to know the dealer tech is a complete A$$. He should know that period. There is specific valving and adjusters inside the shocks that helps boost rear when loaded up
STEVE

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts

I guess being completely clueless helps when blowing smoke up various parts of the customer's anatomy.

:(

...tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts