Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing to exciting here. Waterpump went out on 2011 with the 5.7 at 145k miles. Dove into replacing it with plan to remove tonight and replace with new tomorrow due to daylight limitations. Quick look at some youtube videos and I was off and rolling. $170ish for new parts and coolant. Nothing all that tricky to get to as far as bolts holding on the pump just have to find them all. Biggest hassle up to this point is lower coolant hose does not want to let go. Have the clamp off, but damn thing is still hanging on. Thought once I had the pump off I may have leverage needed, but still a no. Stopped before I got frustrated and broke something since I was planning to come back to it in the morning anyway. Pulley on the pump seems fine, but looks like coolant was just coming out right around one area of the gasket. Was lucky had just drove home from business trip a few hundred miles and oil light came on. Next morning I went to do my oil change and coolant was pouring out, but was still nearly full so know it had just started. Went ahead and did the oil change since I had the stuff handy for that and put this off a week since I have the old 2004 Durango I can break out for these such occasions.

Main take away here is this is not a job someone with even 1/2 a mechanical mind would have to pay a shop for. Watch the how 2 videos and get to work. 3-6 hours of your life depending on your abilities and save $500 or so in shop labor costs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agreed. A majority of the work on these vehicles can be done by yourself and not have to give your money away.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always like to update on these things once done. Little late on this one. So first... I fought stupid spring clamp on lower hose going back on way to long before just buying a standard hose clamp. Do not be like me. Just buy the $1 hose clamp when you buy the water pump and life will be easier. Other then that everything went back on nice and easy. If buying the little packet of gasket sealer buy 2. It is a large gasket so little packet is a stretch. I have yet to drive it anywhere besides around block once getting it up to temp at idle as I squeezed in this between a vacation and work trip. Can verify it temp was steady on short drive, and no puddle of coolant. Easy job with exception of that damn spring clamp on lower hose. Sucked taking that hose off and wasted to much time trying to put it on before ditching that clamp.

·
Registered
231 Posts
These pick tools are great for loosening hoses that are stuck on fittings especially the 90' bend just be careful not to poke a hole in the hose

1 - 4 of 4 Posts