Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Along with the 2011-13 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the 20111-13 Dodge Durango has been added to the fire probe being conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Looking at the big picture, around 593,000 2011-13 JGC and Durango's were made and investigators believe that unwisely placed sun visor screws may cause short-circuits resulting in fires. There have been 52 reports of fires and three injuries so far. Stating the obvious, as vehicles age the probably of issues increase so these numbers could very well rise. We'd like to add that both of these vehicles use the same headliner assembly and both suffered the same type of fire.

The investigation has been upgraded, so expect a recall to be announced very soon.

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
Ill be removing the visor screws and making sure to clearance the harness in there...lol
STEVE

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
Screws were nowhere near the harness on my 13 not even close
STEVE

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Steve:

Did you have to remove both visors or just one side? If one side, which one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stating the obvious, as vehicles age the probably of issues increase so these numbers could very well rise. We'd like to add that both of these vehicles use the same headliner assembly and both suffered the same type of fire.....???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting. I saw a video in 2011 where a Durango caught fire during a parade. Thought it was something they caused. Glad it never happened to mine.

·
Super Moderator
13,026 Posts
Interesting. I saw a video in 2011 where a Durango caught fire during a parade. Thought it was something they caused. Glad it never happened to mine.
You did, and it was intentionally started. That parade fire was an underhood fire, IIRC the intent was to show how the sealing of the upper part of the engine compartment contains engine bay fires.. an amazingly tone-deaf bit of marketing.

But unrelated to this issue.

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
Yeah that was a set up for sure
STEVE

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Durango uses the same headliner assembly as the one in the Grand Cherokee and Chrysler "indicates there are similar headliner fire incidents affecting this model, therefore, these vehicles have been added to the scope of the investigation," NHTSA said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts