Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Chrysler was out of fuel so died and won't start...fill with gas ..still no start

I tried to jump start it because 12v battery was almost dead.

Now when I open the door it makes noise ....from under the remote battery post

and of course not start...

What is this noise and how to fix it and no start situation?

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
oh wow, you have a rare machine there!

Not a lot of experience here I fear.. there were only about 1000 hybrids (durango and aspen) made IIRC.. and most no longer exist.

But I'd start with making sure the 12V battery is in good shape. If it is more than 4 or so years ago, it probably needs to be replaced..

...tom

·
Registered
711 Posts
Almost sounds like a heavy duty relay powering up and chattering, potentially from not enough voltage (low/bad battery?) to fully engage.
Agree with Tom, if the battery is 4+ years old, replace it. If it don't really need it now, it will soon anyway.
These Dodge/Chrysler vehicles do crazy things when the battery becomes just a bit less than perfect.

·
Registered
659 Posts
^^^......x3 on the main battery replacement. My recently purchased 2008 has a 5 year old battery and it's marginal for starting especially after sitting for a couple of days. It'll be replaced later this week.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Curious:
Try leaving the jump vehicle connected for several minutes, and run the rpms up on it to 1.5-2K along the way several times. This should impart some level of charge to the now dead battery, and eventually allow it to start. That noise could be a chattering relay or solenoid, but also sounds to me kind of like the air compressor on my 04 Crown Vic's rear air suspension.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noise I mentioned above ...just starts after I open the door...I dont even insert key in ignition or do anything else..just opening the door...and this noise start..

also I checked with OBD II connector and found 2 codes 1. C10bd chassis 2.c10b9 chasssi on torque app

I have 12v battery checked at both oreilly and autozone ..both said good battery ...and battery is only 6 months old ..it has 600 cca 12v battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To jump start it says connect negative cable to engine ....I am not sure where should I connect one of end the negative cable?

There is negative remote battery post by the driver side fender under hood but that is mean to boost hybrid battery ..not the 12v battery

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Curious:
If the connections are accessible, I would make the jumper connections to the battery. Can you rotate the engine by hand at all? Possibly the starter has gone south?
As Tom says, the hybrid Durangos are rare, and Aspens even more so. It's weird to think of a 5000+ vehicle running on electric, and seeing it move with out any engine sound is freaky!
I have seen a couple of the hybrid Tahoes around town, and they are very quiet in the electric mode.

·
Registered
933 Posts
That sounds like classic low-voltage delivered to the starter motor (bad battery, dirty connection, or chassis ground), or a defective starter solenoid, with fried, or dirty internal contacter points. We see a lot of those in the swamp down here in the monsoon season because of where the solenoid is mounted in the case of our MOPARs --- where it's easier just to replace the whole starter/solenoid assembly. Labor-wise, it end-up cheaper too.. Note that the starter's motor sees zero voltage until the solenoid closes all the way. Anyhow, sometimes you can narrow it down to solenoid failure by getting an assistant to try to start it, while you tap the case of the solenoid (the can on top of the starter) with the butt of a breaker bar, or something.
Definitely sounds like low-volt under full load though..
If no joy, thump all the grounds and main terminals while you have the assistant to twist the key, and you might find your fault.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I agree with you about chassis ground because when I checked with OBD II connector it gave me two codes c10bd -- chassis as complete code and c10b9--chassis as pending code.

But this noise is coming from a part under the remote positive battery post ..and I can remove hose and hear the noise louder...I don't think noise is coming from starter related problem...it has something to do with air/vacuum

But I am not sure if 2009 aspen 5.7 double hemi hybrid has starter....I tried to find it few times but I could not ...so may be it does not have starter? please advise...Where is starter located if you are sure it has starter...I looked at back of engine and side of transmission...
It has HEV light on now...

History was...it ran out of gas and even after filling gas .it did not start ...and not starting now ...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Well I agree with you about chassis ground because when I checked with OBD II connector it gave me two codes c10bd -- chassis as complete code and c10b9--chassis as pending code.

But this noise is coming from a part under the remote positive battery post ..and I can remove hose and hear the noise louder...I don't think noise is coming from starter related problem...it has something to do with air/vacuum

But I am not sure if 2009 aspen 5.7 double hemi hybrid has starter....I tried to find it few times but I could not ...so may be it does not have starter? please advise...Where is starter located if you are sure it has starter...I looked at back of engine and side of transmission...
It has HEV light on now...

History was...it ran out of gas and even after filling gas .it did not start ...and not starting now ...
Major Woops! I'm so sorry I totally missed "Hybrid" in the thread altogether. I feel like a total idiot.
From what I just researched, your Aspen is very rare! Less than 1,000 were ever produced, and that includes the Durango Hybrid run. MOF, I had no clue they even made a hybrid on 2009. I see they did, and still do! :!: And you're right, there's no traditional starter. It starts from the electric drive motor via the 2-mode tranny.
Be careful around the B+ side of that Li-Ion pack, as it is over 340VDC at mucho amps. It will kill you if you contact B+ and ground.
Anyhow; If it were mine, I would keep that Aspen as a 'collector' simply due to it's rarity.
And because of the codes you're getting, I would run a single 3/4" braided strap from the tranny case, to the engine, and then, to the frame and pray! My thinking is this would correct any ground fault. I would assume the Li-Ion pack is ok, or you would be getting an OBDII code for that too.
Please forgive me for my poor reading comprehension. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So u think chassis ground has problem?
Another thing...battery should be 750 CCA but battery I have is 600 CCA ...(only 6 months old) ..
do u think CCA lower than required by mfg. could cause starting problem?

Also, when I try to recharge the hybrid battery the navigation screen says 'system is off' ..I believe even if its low it should say 'charge insuffcient'
do u think this is the reason why it would not start?

·
Registered
659 Posts
If it were me I'd remove the battery from the vehicle and try charging it that way. If it's successful then connections would be suspect. Same with "Jump Starting"....if the cables/terminals are corroded and not making good contact with the actual battery posts then you'll end up not starting/charging.

My 2008 Limited 5.7L build sheet shows a 750 amp battery...I would think it's the same on yours. Manufacturers have really been cheaping out on batteries in the last few years. Lacking in Capacity, Warranty and overall quality. Not to mention the price has been skyrocketing for an inferior product!

I still think you have have a connection or grounding problem.

·
Registered
933 Posts
So u think chassis ground has problem?
Another thing...battery should be 750 CCA but battery I have is 600 CCA ...(only 6 months old) ..
do u think CCA lower than required by mfg. could cause starting problem?
Also, when I try to recharge the hybrid battery the navigation screen says 'system is off' ..I believe even if its low it should say 'charge insuffcient'
do u think this is the reason why it would not start?
At 600CCA, yes, that is somewhat underrated, and I would see if I could "borrow" a 750CCA from someone, just to see what happens... However, I would address those ground codes next, using jumper cables, or some other equally heavy gauge wire. Attach one of the jumper's cables to the tranny and the frame, and the other one, from engine block to trans, or frame, and see if you get anywhere. Those codes might just have something to do with the "System is off" while attempting to recharge symptom too.
Even if it doesn't start, I would recheck OBDII codes while the temporary "jumper grounds" are bonded, to see if that cleared them.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If it were me I'd remove the battery from the vehicle and try charging it that way. If it's successful then connections would be suspect. Same with "Jump Starting"....if the cables/terminals are corroded and not making good contact with the actual battery posts then you'll end up not starting/charging.

My 2008 Limited 5.7L build sheet shows a 750 amp battery...I would think it's the same on yours. Manufacturers have really been cheaping out on batteries in the last few years. Lacking in Capacity, Warranty and overall quality. Not to mention the price has been skyrocketing for an inferior product!

I still think you have have a connection or grounding problem.
Yeah, batteries have really gotten crappy since they pre-fill and charge them at the factory. Sure, it's 'convenient', but they start to degrade as soon as they're filled, so they go bad on the store shelves after about a year.
And as you mentioned, the overall build quality has really 'gone China-spec' lately.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
NumberThree
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing