Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is the deal i habe a 2006 durango 4.7 v8 magnum i had to do a motor swap thats all done truck starts runs etc BUT for some reason my alt wont charge the battery so i checked all wires every connected i replaced the alt withca band new one (just incase) and still nothing would there be something i missed that one of you lovely dodge guys know that could point me in the right direction i miss driving my durango

·
Registered
53 Posts
Voltage regular was included with the alternator replacement unit? Check your main chassis ground, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Voltage regular was included with the alternator replacement unit? Check your main chassis ground, too.
No just the alt ( were would i find the regular) also you wouldn't happen to have or know were i can find a ground diagram i tryed google but get every vehicle but the durango

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,082 Posts
The PCM controls the charging of the alternator.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Jrah:
Please share more info about the transplant. What was wrong with the old engine? Was the donor engine from the same year Durango? As mentioned, the regulator control signal comes from inside the PCM.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jrah:
Please share more info about the transplant. What was wrong with the old engine? Was the donor engine from the same year Durango? As mentioned, the regulator control signal comes from inside the PCM.

Don
Main durango blew 2 outta 8 pistion rings
Donor was the generation before mine but both had the 4.7L magnum V8. Besides body the only difference between the 2 was the main was AWD and the Donor was not

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,082 Posts
Did you keep your original engine wiring harness and electronic modules? Basically just a physical engine swap?

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
There may be a fuseable link on the alternator output. Is the dash battery light on? I would verify whether the alternator is working, with a voltmeter.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There may be a fuseable link on the alternator output. Is the dash battery light on? I would verify whether the alternator is working, with a voltmeter.

Don
The light is on and i bought a brand new alternator and installed it and still the same result

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Ok;
My guess would be that the signal from the PCM is not making it (or not being sent) to control it. Did the shop test the alternator before they sent you out the door with it? It might be one of those brand new or rebuilt duds. A rare thing, but it does happen. Can you visually inspect the alt harness to be sure it was not damaged/severed in the engine R and R?

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok;
My guess would be that the signal from the PCM is not making it (or not being sent) to control it. Did the shop test the alternator before they sent you out the door with it? It might be one of those brand new or rebuilt duds. A rare thing, but it does happen. Can you visually inspect the alt harness to be sure it was not damaged/severed in the engine R and R?

Don
Bandnew never been used alt harness is in good shape no visible breaks is there a way to test pcm (tryed my code reader and nothing comes up)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts