Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Durango was purchased new and now has 278000 miles on it. The vehicle has developed a clunk clunk clunk this month that happens upon hard acceleration or yields a lesser “clunk clunk” (again) when starting out in first gear when accelerating up a hill or incline. I elected to source a replacement LOW mileage (50000 mile) transmission with torque converter from a wrecker. After replacing the transmission there is no change and the noise (clunk) is still present. No, it’s not the spare tire dangling. It’s a clunk that keeps a noise that appears when you get on the throttle and is emitted coming from under the vehicle somewhere directly under the auto in the area of the transmission. It’s certainly concerning because the car never did this until lates August 2022. There are no obvious issues. The drive lines look good. Cv axles joints are ok. Again, it seems like it might be in the area of the center of vehicle so could it be a bad t case??? A write up on this forum said they used a mopar t case fluid instead of the ATF plus 4 specified and that “supposedly” cured the issue. I don’t get how a bandaid like installing a superseded lubricant could resolve this. A final symptom is it seems to not clunk (as much) when the engine is cold. Get in the throttle aggressively in 1st gear and you’ll certainly hear and feel
It. It makes you wonder (not the transmission….same exact problem after replacing that)…. What could it be???

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,558 Posts
AWD? One of the wheel driveshafts?

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
msauder:
You may an issue with the front drive shaft. The joint at the T case can be problematic in the higher mileage ranges. Does the sound change if you are turning. Do you have the single speed (no 4 low) or the 2 speed case? The TC chain may be getting worn, and can pop/clank around as it wears and loosens up.

Don

Reactions: DuRonbo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I drove it today and stepped on the accelerator to merge into traffic. The clunk clunk continued from onset (first gear up until it basically shifted into 2nd) or when I let off the accelerator. Heavy acceleration from stop and it clunks or (even has a rhythm to the clunk) best described as a chatter

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Ok:
Until further notice, I'm going with an internal T case issue. When was the T case last serviced, if ever? It's pretty simple. Two threaded hex plugs, and about a quart or so of fresh ATF+4 trans fluid.
If it's due or overdue, you'll want to make sure you can loosen both plugs before you remove the lower one completely to drain the old fluid, and have the new stuff on hand. Look for metal shavings in what comes out. If present, that will be a clue to an ongoing internal issue.

Don

Reactions: DuRonbo
1 - 6 of 6 Posts