Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!

My wife called me and said her 2006 Dodge Durango with the 4.7 cranks really fast, but is not starting. She says she turns and lets go of the key and it will continue to crank for 3-5 seconds and then stops.

Has a full tank of fuel. Just drove to work and worked fine, went to leave and just cranks! :(

Going to drove 20 miles to go see it.

Going to bring with me a test light, a new fuel pump relay, and a bunch of random mini fuses.

I hope it's something simple!

230K miles.
100% stock!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Would she no the difference between engine cranking and just starter spinning? The whole still going after letting off the key for 3-5 more seconds seems odd. Could see the solenoid having failed and the starter motor is spinning, but since solenoid is not kicking in just spinning and not engaging the engine. Would hear the stater motor wind down for a few seconds if it was spinning freely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the 'bump start' is engaging. It's where it will continue to crank until it starts before it reaches the time out.

I replaced the fuel pump relay, but could hear it - tested all the fuses and all good.

I took the #1 spark plug out and didn't see a spark after 4-5 attempts of trying to start it.

I replaced the cam and the crank sensors on the passengerside motor.

Same result..

No codes - no P codes - mileage shows on the cluster.

I don't know what else to check.

Going to call a place in the morning and see if they can get it in. They charge $50 to diagnose so may just do that and depending on the outcome.. have them take care of it or attempt it myself.

ASM relays is something I also found.. but not sure if that would prevent spark? I didn't test those unfortunately as it's 20 miles away and I just read about when I got home.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Likely not an issues here, but a good way to spot some odd issues is if the the shift indicator is highlighting all the selections instead of just Park or whatever gear you have it in. If for some reason that is happening a bad connection somewhere or the TCM or likely in play.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chase nailed it.

I'll update this so anyone else that has this issue, if they search for it they may run across this. Mine was the fuel pump.

Tell you a little how it went down, and how frustrated I am about this.

I am a DIY'er and have been working on / painting cars for a long time. So when my wife said it wasn't starting, I thought for sure I could assist her. Now, remember, this car is 11 years old and this is THE FIRST time it has any issues.

I get there, and it turns over like mad, but it will not start. I brought a friend with me to drive it back and help me. So we get there and the first thing I do is change the fuel pump relay. Still, cranks really fast but doesn't start. I know it's not the battery by how good it's cranking and the battery was replaced 3 months ago.

So I check all the fuses with a test light - both ends on all fuses are good.

I take spark plug #1 out and since the plug itself doesn't want to sit in the boot, I was afraid to hold it while it was cranking. So I wedged it under the intake hat and the valve cover, to keep the spark plug in the boot, as it wanted to keep popping out. I tried to crank and a friend looked to see the spark. He isn't really a car guy.. he says no spark.

SO that got me thinking, Cam and/or Crank sensor. Went to the parts store and purchased both of them. Installed it in the parking garage at my wifes work. Tested and boom.. same thing.. darn it!!!

So I push it out of the parking garage, was fun when going down the ramp.. haha and into the parking lot. I tried to start it and same thing there.

Called a tow company and said the key was in the gas cap. Well, my wife's security at work wouldn't release the car and allow the tow truck driver on the lot. So my wife had to go back later that night and badge him in.

Got the car to the dealer today and they said it didn't start, the tech punched the bottom of the fuel tank and the car started right up. Drove it to the bay and said it was driving but sputtering. Tested the fuel pressure and was at 16psi... not good..

So they charged me $600 to replace. Kind of high cause I know I could have done it for the price of the fuel pump and done it myself..

but..

fuel tank is 100% fuel, how heavy would of that been?
I paid $115 to have them diagnose the issue
tow truck from the dealer would have been $140

Just bite the bullet and just had them do it and a recent air bag recall. I should have it back tomorrow morning.

Cheaper than I thought, I thought it was the TIPM.. but hate the fact I spent $100 in sensors without verifying spark / etc...

Oh well.. getting old :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out. I did my fuel pump around a year ago, because the plastic around the top was cracked and causing a CEL for evap leak. Had to pass emissions so had to take that on. I had the benefit of driving it till being on fumes, and still not that fun to do. Then about 2 weeks later was driving it and gas line popped off at the fuel pump. Apparently I did not have it clipped all the way, and that time tank was nearly full. Just had to drop it to get my hand in there and reconnect the line (this time doubled checked to make sure it was snug). No issues since. Considering I had to do the work a second time almost wish I would of just spent the $600 instead of doing it myself. I actually still have not put the skid plate back on that covers the tank. I do not go off road at all, and have done the torsion bar lift, and larger wheels/tires so not likely anything is going to kick up high enough to hit my tank anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chase nailed it.

I'll update this so anyone else that has this issue, if they search for it they may run across this. Mine was the fuel pump.

Tell you a little how it went down, and how frustrated I am about this.

I am a DIY'er and have been working on / painting cars for a long time. So when my wife said it wasn't starting, I thought for sure I could assist her. Now, remember, this car is 11 years old and this is THE FIRST time it has any issues.

I get there, and it turns over like mad, but it will not start. I brought a friend with me to drive it back and help me. So we get there and the first thing I do is change the fuel pump relay. Still, cranks really fast but doesn't start. I know it's not the battery by how good it's cranking and the battery was replaced 3 months ago.

So I check all the fuses with a test light - both ends on all fuses are good.

I take spark plug #1 out and since the plug itself doesn't want to sit in the boot, I was afraid to hold it while it was cranking. So I wedged it under the intake hat and the valve cover, to keep the spark plug in the boot, as it wanted to keep popping out. I tried to crank and a friend looked to see the spark. He isn't really a car guy.. he says no spark.

SO that got me thinking, Cam and/or Crank sensor. Went to the parts store and purchased both of them. Installed it in the parking garage at my wifes work. Tested and boom.. same thing.. darn it!!!

So I push it out of the parking garage, was fun when going down the ramp.. haha and into the parking lot. I tried to start it and same thing there.

Called a tow company and said the key was in the gas cap. Well, my wife's security at work wouldn't release the car and allow the tow truck driver on the lot. So my wife had to go back later that night and badge him in.

Got the car to the dealer today and they said it didn't start, the tech punched the bottom of the fuel tank and the car started right up. Drove it to the bay and said it was driving but sputtering. Tested the fuel pressure and was at 16psi... not good..

So they charged me $600 to replace. Kind of high cause I know I could have done it for the price of the fuel pump and done it myself..

but..

fuel tank is 100% fuel, how heavy would of that been?
I paid $115 to have them diagnose the issue
tow truck from the dealer would have been $140

Just bite the bullet and just had them do it and a recent air bag recall. I should have it back tomorrow morning.

Cheaper than I thought, I thought it was the TIPM.. but hate the fact I spent $100 in sensors without verifying spark / etc...

Oh well.. getting old :)
I'm having this same issue now. I've replaced too much too list in the past 2 years, mostly all but the block itself.
Drove normal this am but it does have a clatter when starting, quiets down when gets up to operating temp. Lunchtime, went to start but idol very low, oil light came on & died within 20 seconds. Replaced oil pressure switch last month as it did about the same thing without the issue of not starting.
I've been told it could be oil pump or timing chain... neither of which I'm not prepared to do.
Any suggestions/thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts