Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE HELP!!! mileage 149,000
changed the drivers side head light then when backing out, i got stuck (engine revs, but car does not move) i realized the N light was on, stuck a pen in & reset the button (read from manual) truck was working fine. then drove to the mechanic to make sure everything was good, on my way my traction control light came on & off, svc 4wd light came on, 4lock came on. car locked up & i could barely park.. any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
JR:
Sounds like you may have the beginnings of the darned self selecting T case problem. Have you tried moving the T case knob through its range of options to get the T case back to AWD? Once you do, you can unplug the harness to the shift motor so it stays in AWD until you remedy the issue.

Don

Reactions: JuliettRoschek

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Correct:
There is no 2wd option for any of the Gen 2 T cases. They are all AWD with a 4 Hi option and some have the 4Lo option also.

Don

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,579 Posts
Need to check for fault codes. Have someone scan it for codes. That would point you in the right direction for repair.

Here's a list of Chassis trouble codes related to the Transfer Case:

C1401- TRANSFER CASE RANGE SELECT
SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 838
C1402- TRANSFER CASE RANGE SELECT
SWITCH CIRCUIT HIGH. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 843
C1404- TRANSFER CASE RANGE
POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW . . . . . . . 848
C1405- TRANSFER CASE RANGE
POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH. . . . . . . 853
C1407- TRANSFER CASE BRAKE
CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 858
C1408- TRANSFER CASE BRAKE
CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 862
C140B- TRANSFER CASE MOTOR
CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 867
C140C- TRANSFER CASE MOTOR
CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 873
C230A- NEUTRAL INDICATOR CONTROL
CIRCUIT LOW . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 879
C230B- NEUTRAL INDICATOR CONTROL
CIRCUIT HIGH . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 884

Hopefully there's one stored. The FCM, Selector Switch and Instrument Cluster do the actual control of the Transfer Case Shift Motor/Sensor assembly.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My guess is the Transfer Case Shift Motor/Sensor assembly due to it being an electrical part. But could be other items like wiring or the FCM, etc. The codes would really help.

I'm going to say this is the Transfer Case Shift Motor.

It's not cheap at $400+ discounted.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
RockAuto has one left for $380.79.

The big thing here is diagnosing things correctly and getting the right part to fix it.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Looks like Dorman makes a replacement part.

Looks like you can get them for around $200. Should be able to get at most auto parts stores. Or at least order one from them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you so much! you guys are very helpful!!! i don’t know, much about cars so it’s hard to tell if a mechanic just wants more $$ or is actually being honest.. i will be calling my mechanic back tomorrow & will update! thanks again, glad to know there are still great people in the world!!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Best of luck.

Like I said getting any codes will really help to pinpoint the real issue.

Pretty much any mechanic shop and even the dealers to a great extent are just parts swappers. Not really analyzing or trying to troubleshoot the problem. Those codes are the key.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my mechanic just called me back... he said the codes that came up were
C1405
C1404
i think he said “0024”?
he told me i need a new transfer case motor.. the total was $870... not sure what to do & could use all the help i can get!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
How much is the part and how much is the labor?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Here's some brands beside Dorman on Amazon pretty cheap.

One for $77.

Another for $85

And the Dorman for $235

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If the transfer case motor needs to be changed then that's it. Only thing I can do is try to get you the cheapest part on the price. Can't change the labor rate or amount of labor for you.

Some mechanics will only install parts that they provide. Some won't let you bring your own parts. Sorry we couldn't help more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you so much for your help! i will be calling them back shortly to see if i can use any of those! this has been a nightmare.. was hoping i could just get it unplugged & be on my way

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
one more question so with those codes coming up, there isn’t a way to just unplug & keep it locked in awd right? i have to get it replaced?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I can't answer that question. I would think if the transfer case could get selected to the AWD somehow then you could disconnect the motor/sensor electrical and the transfer case would stay in that mode.

The two codes you listed are related to the sensor portion of the transfer case motor assembly. It may be the motor is working but the sensors that tell the system what position the transfer case is in have problems. Those sensors are part of the transfer case motor assembly. The motor may be trying to make the mode switch but there's no indication from the sensors that the switch has been made.

I would think if the motor is good...your mechanic could apply power to the motor connection and manually move it. Then leave the electrical connector disconnected. That's about all the help I can suggest on this.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My 2008 Limited is rear wheel drive so I don't have the AWD system or controls. My Jeep is a different AWD system so no help there for you.

The two transfer case motor assemblies I listed from Amazon are pretty cheap. Less than a 1/4 of the discounted Dodge part. If you could get one of them and find a mechanic to install it, I would think that would be your lowest cost option. I don't know how much of a job it is to remove/replace and amount of labor hours involved.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Here's the Service Information for the transfer case motor and sensors. Might help your mechanic?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts