Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my 2005 AWD automatic when a Loud bang sounded and then no transmission gears forward or reverse. However there is a whining noise. Checked the fluid and it's bright red and at the proper level. I did a fair search on the forum for these issues without much luck. If there is a thread can come one point it in my direction.

Thank you for all your help and time in this matter.

Christopher

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Sounds like time for a visit to transmission shop. Prepare to leave vehicle and a substantial repair bill. How many miles on it?

·
Administrator
8,052 Posts
It c bee the t/case for the AWD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It c bee the t/case for the AWD.
Hmmm, when you turn the engine off you hear a bit of a slowing whirl almost gear like.

Would there be some test for this?

is there a linkage or servo that selects gears? that could of gone bad?

Thanks again

·
Administrator
8,052 Posts
When my t/case failed I had no drive i9n any choice. I was in 2 wheel when it happened. Chain cut case in half.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
I believe that transfer case may be a single speed AWD model
It sounds like it has failed in some way. Now if it is multiple speed it does have a servo. The T Cases on Gen 2's were a weak point
STEVE

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry did not mention the AWD. If the transfer case did go, do you think that the trans itself is still functional?

Also is there any further diagnostic that I can do to (remove a driveshaft or coupling) to determine which could actually be the problem.

The trans it self always shifted fine the fact that the fluid is at the proper level and is not burnt, points me to the transfer case. Also I though these trans has a limp mode. I have no movement forward or reverse, in AWD or 4 wheel Lock.

Another indication of the t case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I will be dropping the trans, maybe an input shaft or pump. Anyway. .

Does anyone have a recommendation for a trans remanufacturer or rebuilder? Of just a company to stay away from?

I think NAPA supplies them at around $2000.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'm not familiar with the AWD D's. But I would check the transfer case as Steve mentioned earlier in post if it is a weak link for them before dropping trans. You might check with scrap yards for a lower mileage used unit. They can put out a locate if they don't have one and have it shipped to you.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
I would suspect the trans before the transfer case. The 05's were known for torque convertor failures. Might get by with only a new TQ, or might be trans time.
Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Status Update. Well I brought the truck to my local aamaco. The had various prices for the job 2250 for a used unit installed, 2700+ for them to rebuild the unit and 4500 for a certified rebuilt unit. I chose for a used unit. They said they had one from a car with 57K on it. This also comes with a 6 month unlimited mileage warranty. Before the truck was towed there I put three small dots with a paint pen on the trans next to the serial number.

Guess what. I went to pick up the car an looked underneath and the same dots were there. Yes the truck runs fine again, but he would not tell me exactly what they did to it to repair in.

From looking at the bolts it does seem that they dropped the trans pan. But I have to look a bit closer to see if they actually removed and repaired my trans. I did show the aamaco guy the dots and confronted him, his story remained the same your needed your truck fixed we did that within the amount we spoke about and you have six months warranty.

So two things actually happened. The trans was easily fixed and he made a butt load of cash, or he did me a solid by dropping it rebuilding it or putting in a new input shaft (which I think the problem actually was.) and saved me a few hundred of the shop rebuild fee. I do have the paperwork for the repair with the warranty. This is the main reason why I try to do all repairs and maintenance myself.

Thanks to the members who helped

How would you feel about this? what actions would you take.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Definately sounds like transmission to me. A whirring noise probably means your getting power in, but no power out, possibly output shaft, Jack it up with it in park and see if you can spin the wheels...this will tell us more

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Vaccaro:
I had a bad experience with AAMCO years ago, and due to that would not give them the time of day! You paid for certain services which included a different trans. They also should have NO problem telling you exactly what was wrong. I believe they also must return the bad parts to you if requested by law since this was not a warranty/gratis repair

My guess is they simply replaced the TC, and called it a day. Not that it can't happen, but the 545RFE trans is known to be pretty tough.
Something smells rotten here.....

Don

1 - 16 of 16 Posts