Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, first post here.

I have had my vehicle since it was new, approximately 178,000 miles ago. The vehicle is strong in every way, but one. The AC has been problematic over the years. I always try to fix problems when the arise and not live with anything broken. About a year ago I got a clicking coming from inside the dashboard. The shop that had serviced my AC in the past said to bring it right in. The clicking was coming from small electrical motors that open and close air doors. They determined I needed to replace the box under the dash that houses the AC and heater coils. This involves removing large portions of the dashboard. They replaced the $700 box and charged me about $1000 labor. I have no issue with the shop, they were upfront about everything. Now like 15 months later I have a similar problem with the clicking. The AC works fine, except for the clicking. I purposely haven’t tried to make air come out the floor or defroster, because I haven’t needed to, and don’t want to jinx the working AC. So anyway, the shop now tells me I need to replace the same box again, because doors and hinges are broken. This was the first time I suspected they had installed used parts (probably because that was the only choice). The parts I need aren’t available anymore, and the used car parts within 60 miles doesn’t have anything. I hate to give up on a great vehicle with 1 year old tires and everything else working, except the AC and possibly heat. I live in the northeast USA and need both heat and AC. Do I have any options? Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Rockauto has a few. OEM is $100 with 24 month warranty, but the Standard Motor Products is only $20 with a 36 month warranty.

However, there are likely 6 of them, so you either need to find the one that is failing or replace them all. Most shops are only a 12 month warranty so you will have to pay again or get a service manual and do it yourself, unfortunately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rockauto has a few. OEM is $100 with 24 month warranty, but the Standard Motor Products is only $20 with a 36 month warranty.

However, there are likely 6 of them, so you either need to find the one that is failing or replace them all. Most shops are only a 12 month warranty so you will have to pay again or get a service manual and do it yourself, unfortunately.
Thanks, but they say I need the entire housing for the two cores, the doors, and motors. All but the blower motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds bogus to me. The housing should contain the doors and actuators. The rest is just a box. I would seek a new shop for a 2nd opinion.
I understand your thoughts, and thanks for your reply. Since there is clicking, I think the motors are working. I think they replaced the entire box, previously, with a junkyard box (without Disclosing it to me, it wasn’t OEM). I don’t understand the whole mechanics of if all, but they say the doors and hinges are broken and thats why they need to replace the whole unavailable assembly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In that case, they only need to change the blend doors. That still doesn't require changing the whole box.
Is it possible that failed blend door hinges would require changing the whole box? I have no idea what this looks like, but is it possible the hinges broke the whole box where they attach? Thanks again for your reply!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it possible that failed blend door hinges would require changing the whole box? I have no idea what this looks like, but is it possible the hinges broke the whole box where they attach? Thanks again for your reply!
The blend door hinges didn't break, only the actuators/ plastic gears. You have to physically reach in and snatch a door out by force to break the box/ hinge area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The blend door hinges didn't break, only the actuators/ plastic gears. You have to physically reach in and snatch a door out by force to break the box/ hinge area.
Wait, how do you know hinges didn’t break? I’m the one reporting what the shop told me. LOL. The shop said this is a major problem for this old car and parts are scarce? I’m, not trying to be a smart ass, just saying what they told me?

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
Angler:
It sounds like your shop did not want to drill down into the heater/AC box itself, but instead wanted to replace it as a unit, and hope for the best. The crappy part of this, is that whether they replace the internal parts, or the entire box, the dash still has to come away from the firewall.

Depending on which control motor it is, you might be able to access it without dash removal. I think I'd appeal to your shop to cut you some slack, since you have already paid them $1700 for this repair. If they decline, I'd find another shop.

Don

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wait, how do you know hinges didn’t break? I’m the one reporting what the shop told me. LOL. The shop said this is a major problem for this old car and parts are scarce? I’m, not trying to be a smart ass, just saying what they told me?
The "hinges" are a rod that slips into the airbox and those spots are pretty robust. I find it VERY hard to believe they broke under normal use. The crap plastic gears in the actuators break all the time, but that airbos is pretty stout. I've kicked them across the shop (intentionally) and they didn't break.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know you're not trying to be a smart ass. The shop is full of crap. I spent 2 minutes on Steve White Parts and found this for you. It's the whole upper housing, doors and all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know you're not trying to be a smart ass. The shop is full of crap. I spent 2 minutes on Steve White Parts and found this for you. It's the whole upper housing, doors and all.

Thanks man. I appreciate your research! Unfortunately I have the 5.7 HEMI. The replacement for that is not listed. I love your distrust of repair shops! We all just want to be charged fairly, but it‘s hard to tell. In this instance, I think it may be a warranty issue. Is the shop saying they can’t find the parts because they don’t want to pay for them? I don’t know?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks man. I appreciate your research! Unfortunately I have the 5.7 HEMI. The replacement for that is not listed. I love your distrust of repair shops! We all just want to be charged fairly, but it‘s hard to tell. In this instance, I think it may be a warranty issue. Is the shop saying they can’t find the parts because they don’t want to pay for them? I don’t know?
That part is for an 05 Limited with the 5.7 hemi. I looked it it specifically for that vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Angler:
It sounds like your shop did not want to drill down into the heater/AC box itself, but instead wanted to replace it as a unit, and hope for the best. The crappy part of this, is that whether they replace the internal parts, or the entire box, the dash still has to come away from the firewall.

Depending on which control motor it is, you might be able to access it without dash removal. I think I'd appeal to your shop to cut you some slack, since you have already paid them $1700 for this repair. If they decline, I'd find another shop.

Don
Thanks for your reply Don. They already replaced the easy to access parts, to no success. They have definitely expressed concern of removing the dash again, possibly because this would be on their dime. I’m not entirely sure why they feel under that pressure as it was like 15 months ago, that they did the major surgery. Is there possibly more than a year warranty on this stuff? They replaced the motors they could get to, under warranty, so maybe there is? I ordered the box Punisher69 was so great to provide me the route to. Thanks all!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Holy crap, you are right! I was looking at the chart on the page that listed other vehicles, and not mine. Thank you so much!
No problem. I've been in the car game for a loooooong time. I wouldn't knowingly link anyone to a part that wouldn't fit their vehicle.

2 things.

1-When you get the new box, take a look at the hinge areas, you'll see what I mean by stout and why they didn't "just break" under normal operation.

2- inspect the old box thoroughly. Maybe you'll find what actually did break.... whatever else you find wrong with it, see if you can repair it. Parts won't be available for your vehicle forever and it may be something you can fix with JB Plastic weld, or even the regular stuff. If so, keep it, and repair it so you'll have a spare in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No problem. I've been in the car game for a loooooong time. I wouldn't knowingly link anyone to a part that wouldn't fit their vehicle.

2 things.

1-When you get the new box, take a look at the hinge areas, you'll see what I mean by stout and why they didn't "just break" under normal operation.

2- inspect the old box thoroughly. Maybe you'll find what actually did break.... whatever else you find wrong with it, see if you can repair it. Parts won't be available for your vehicle forever and it may be something you can fix with JB Plastic weld, or even the regular stuff. If so, keep it, and repair it so you'll have a spare in the future.
I think those are both great suggestions. If I didn't ask, I would never see the parts. I will definitely ask for them and agree I could make a fix that the shop is not interested in attempting. Thank you again for all your help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts