Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The vehicle has 172,000 miles on it. Last year, we had a "clicking" noise coming from a relay under the hood after the engine stopped. Replaced the relay with new one, but "clicking" noise continued. Took to local mechanic that has done work on our A/C and replaced valve covers, etc., where oil was leaking. The mechanic is the owner of the shop.

Took the Durango to him and he ended up telling us that we needed a new PCM. So, we bought a new/rebuilt one online and he installed it. Well, the "clicking" noise continued and he didn't charge us for installing the new PCM. We kept the old/original PCM. We simply ignored the "clicking" noise.

A few months ago, our ECL came on with four codes. Took the Durango to him and, between his electronics man and himself, they figured the problem was the instrument cluster and charged us $121 diagnostic fee. In 2009, there was a Recall for this, but didn't involve our Durango. Checking his vendors, he couldn't find an instrument cluster at all, but I found one on E-Bay. After not finding an instrument cluster for us, he reset the ECL. A few days later, the ECL comes back on with eight more codes.

Back to him it went. After checking more stuff, he now thought it was a defective PCM we bought online. So, we gave him the old/original one and he installed for free. Sent the "online bought" PCM back to the company for them to check/repair. Yesterday, the ECL came on and, using my ECL Scanner, there were 8 listed codes. So, because he is so busy right now, can't get the Durango to him until July 30th. While we are on vacation for a few days, driving a rental, he will again check out what's going on and keep the Durango in his locked lot.

Later, because we like this Durango so much, and it pulls our boat/trailer so nicely, we want to buy a new/rebuilt engine for it. It is extremely hard to find a V8 Durango for a descent cost. Can't pull our boat/trailer with a V6.

All recommendations/advice very, very appreciated.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The vehicle has 172,000 miles on it. Last year, we had a "clicking" noise coming from a relay under the hood after the engine stopped. Replaced the relay with new one, but "clicking" noise continued. Took to local mechanic that has done work on our A/C and replaced valve covers, etc., where oil was leaking. The mechanic is the owner of the shop.

Took the Durango to him and he ended up telling us that we needed a new PCM. So, we bought a new/rebuilt one online and he installed it. Well, the "clicking" noise continued and he didn't charge us for installing the new PCM. We kept the old/original PCM. We simply ignored the "clicking" noise.

A few months ago, our ECL came on with four codes. Took the Durango to him and, between his electronics man and himself, they figured the problem was the instrument cluster and charged us $121 diagnostic fee. In 2009, there was a Recall for this, but didn't involve our Durango. Checking his vendors, he couldn't find an instrument cluster at all, but I found one on E-Bay. After not finding an instrument cluster for us, he reset the ECL. A few days later, the ECL comes back on with eight more codes.

Back to him it went. After checking more stuff, he now thought it was a defective PCM we bought online. So, we gave him the old/original one and he installed for free. Sent the "online bought" PCM back to the company for them to check/repair. Yesterday, the ECL came on and, using my ECL Scanner, there were 12 listed codes. So, because he is so busy right now, can't get the Durango to him until July 30th. While we are on vacation for a few days, driving a rental, he will again check out what's going on and keep the Durango in his locked lot.

Later, because we like this Durango so much, and it pulls our boat/trailer so nicely, we want to buy a new/rebuilt engine for it. It is extremely hard to find a V8 Durango for a descent cost. Can't pull our boat/trailer with a V6.

All recommendations/advice very, very appreciated.
What were the codes? That will give us a starting point. It is definitely possible the ecm is bad, but with computers running things it could be other things too.

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T "SRT Design"
2016 Dodge Durango Limited

·
Registered
388 Posts
Also before Mr Fox gets in here :)D) how old is the battery? A bad battery can cause numerous issues!

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T "SRT Design"
2016 Dodge Durango Limited

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
735 Posts
I believe that a repeated clicking noise has also been associated with the fuel system and it's collecting of gas fumes.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, here we go, Codes: U1120, U0141, U1411, U110C, PO627, U110E, U1113 and PO645.

The battery is brand new as of March 9, 2021 (NAPA: AAA Premium Battery #65 750A Wet). Other battery went completely dead on evening of March 8, 2021. Took that one out and put on my "high amp" battery charger and it charged up fully, but decided to by a new one and put in.

Because our gas gauge was acting up a little, have bought, and used four cans of BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner. Obviously, didn't use all cans at same time. Two last year, within two months and two this year. Appears gauge is fine now. Finally!

The "clicking" noise was coming from the ASD 40 Mini Relay. Bought a new one at NAPA, cross-referenced to a AR272 Relay Control Module, but clicking noise continued. Still have both old Relays that were replaced. And, btw, replaced another Relay w/cross-reference to a NAPA AR606.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't understand the "awaiting approval before being displayed publicly?

In my last reply, #5, I stated the codes that showed up on both my scanner and the mechanics scanner. And, I explained a few other things that have been done to the Durango electronics, but haven't heard a response yet.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The PCM was sent back to Flagship One. They checked it, tested it and absolutely nothing wrong with the PCM. We got it back yesterday.

I talked to the mechanic yesterday, that was going to do some more checking on our electronics, and he has decided "enough is enough" on doing this. So, we will wait until we get back from our week of vacation, at the end of the first week of August, and probably take it to the Dealer. The Dealer still owes us an oil change from the "4 for the price of 3 oil change program" we bought from them. We are renting a car for our week of vacation.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny, I talked to my half-brother last night on the phone and he told me that his engine light has been coming on for over two years now. When it comes on, he shuts it off, by way of the battery. He doesn't care what the codes say. "Right now it's on and I will shut if off when I get the time." he told me.

I don't agree with his reasoning, but there are folks out there that will do just that...........ECL comes on, they will shut it off with either a code reader or with disconnecting the battery. And, they don't care what the codes are, they just shut off the ECL when it comes on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts