Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, we picked up a 2021 Starcraft 26BHS. This weekend, I finally took it out for the season. I know a lot of people think a 31 foot camper is too long for the DD, but I have to say that it pulled really well.

The equalizer hitch made sway (which is absolutely necessary) virtually nonexistent. On the way home after picking it up, I was fighting 18mph winds and some moderate hills on the highway, so I got 7mpg. However, our trip to deliver it to the seasonal site only had 5-8mph winds and fewer hills. I ended up with 10mpg. Hemi had plenty of power to accelerate, but definitely struggled up hills as it kicked down into 2nd gear, but only a few times. Usually, 3rd gear handled hills just fine. I was driving at 60-65 mph.

I wouldn't try towing this through mountains, but for the semi-flat midwest, it did just fine. Since the seasonal site we parked at has power and water, I didn't have much cargo besides the basics inside and 2 bikes on the bumper of the camper, which put the camper at about 6000lbs.

2005 Durango SLT AWD, 5.7L, 3.92 gears
I did upgrade my shocks to Monroe heavy duty and I also have an electric fan conversion that I turned on for the whole trip. It didn't look like the coolant rose past the usual temp even once.

·
Registered
119 Posts
These Durangos are impressive. Great to hear that it wasn't to much of a struggle to pull that large of a trailer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts