Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

Im brand new to the forum as well as owning a Dodge, my first foray into the dodge universe is my 2004 Durango slt 4.7 4x4, and I have to admit its becoming a love/hate relationship. Ive never owned a vehicle that has so few options with in the suspension area, even a body lift probably the most common mod to do on a truck is impossible to find.

Its like the aftermarket industry completely blackballed the 2gen Durangos all together, Id live to hear other peoples experiences and personal modifications to give me some ideas for my own rig. I understand I can make a body lift though some people tell me its impossible because of the steering column, after all its simply putting spacers and longer bolts in place. Ive done the Torsion lift / leveling for the front end and it added a couple inches but Id like a couple more longer shocks, springs, etc?

Ive done a few other trucks fords toyotas etc but none of them had so many limitations like the durango.

I hope people will take some time and toss me some ideas

thank you

·
Administrator
8,022 Posts
Don't feel alone. The D is ignored by all of the quality companies that make lift kits and it isn't because of the IFS as they hundreds of kits for the GM and Ford units. For some reason not enough D owners are asking for kits and so they don't make them as they don't see a market. That's why the kits died out for the Gen1. Also Dodge is the red headed step child of the after market industry.

·
Super Moderator
5,136 Posts
Its like the aftermarket industry completely blackballed the 2gen Durangos all together,
That is exactly what happened. The D in general is not at the top of the list for aftermarket goodies, but the gen 2 is a completely different ballgame. It's invisible. Nonexistent almost, it would seem. Welcome aboard.

·
Administrator
8,022 Posts
I am afraid the only option would be to go to a custom front end with a 3 or 4 link setup with coil over shocks and a solid front axle of some sort. Getting custom springs or going to a custom 4 link for the rear would also be needed. We're talking a lot of cash or very high mechanical ability for this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol umm thank you..??? lol I like the truck it just shocked e how little you can do to tweek the suspension other than the torsion keys is there anything else one can do like coil spring spacers longer springs etc?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for the info I appreciate it, so there is nothing one can do to lift the durango? other than the torsion key leveling trick, Ive been wondering about longer coil springs or spacers for the rear coil springs longer shocks etc Id like to do a body lift too but Ive come to the conclusion Ill have to either buy a kit for a similar SUV or truck or buy the spacer blocks separately. I found a several steering column extenders today so I think I can easily do a 2" body lift it has the same number f mounts as the dodge Ram and longer bolts are available at any hardware store, do you think it would work? any thing Im missing etc?

I appreciate the knowledge

·
Administrator
8,022 Posts
Putting longer shocks on is a waste of money as the shocks will blow apart from the piston slamming into the shock body on compression and destroying the shock. You could try a body lift. Easier to do as there is no cutting/welding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts