Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Durango ST 4.7L at 122,000 miles. I took it up to dodge they said i need to flush my transmission and power steering immediately. My truck runs awesome and sounds great but I was wondering why when I am on an inclined plane/ hill my truck will not accelerate it will stay at the initial speed or it will decrease quickly in speed? Just yesterday for the first time i was going up a curvy hill so speed was no option the truck went from 30 to 10 to a complete stop at the top of the hill, then it jerked to switch gears and continued as normal. It freaked me out I only had the truck for 2 weeks and it has never done that before. Is this a result of the flush I need or what ? I am aware it is tune up time as well. So will the tune up and flushing do my truck any justice ? Dodge said there isn't any major issues. :confused::confused::confused:

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
First off NEVER FLUSH A TRANSMISSION
The trans in your D takes 2 filters get them changed and replace the fluid!
Flushing uses chemical cleaners which can cause small particles to break down and clog stuff up!
Put in a new PCV and set of nice new NGK plugs, give the throttle body a good cleaning and all will be well
STEVE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off NEVER FLUSH A TRANSMISSION
The trans in your D takes 2 filters get them changed and replace the fluid!
Flushing uses chemical cleaners which can cause small particles to break down and clog stuff up!
Put in a new PCV and set of nice new NGK plugs, give the throttle body a good cleaning and all will be well
STEVE

Okay Steve so, which 2 filters are you speaking of ? Also for the PCV and NGK plugs any recommendations ? Sorry I am a new "Dodger" so I wouldn't know which products work best.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Get the NGK plugs specific for your D
The filters are both in the transmission, there is a spin on and a regular type one in there. It is critical to change these correctly. I recommend getting factory Mopar filters and PCV as well
STEVE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get the NGK plugs specific for your D
The filters are both in the transmission, there is a spin on and a regular type one in there. It is critical to change these correctly. I recommend getting factory Mopar filters and PCV as well
STEVE
Okay i think im going to go with your seuggestions hopefully the dealership follows my instructions on reparing. Thanks a lot Steve.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
And tell the dealership, by NO MEANS, to do a FLUSH. Drop and drain, only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts