Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!! Just joined the group and i have a question. I have a 2004 4.7 that needs a new radiator. I am seeing that there is a standard cooling, heavy duty cooling and severe duty cooling type. How can i tell which one i need? i have tried to decode the VIN but i dont see anything about the radiator. Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between the different types? Is there anything obvious? I feel like i'm missing something simple. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Hmm, wouldn't think there would be 3 radiators for the 4.7L.
Most I could see is 2. Standard and Heavy Duty for towing package.
Regardless, choose the largest one that fits, which typically has a thicker core.
Its always better to have more cooling capacity than just enough IMO.

Check Rockauto.com

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
When I changed out my radiator the new one was definitely larger. I suspect possibly the difference between Standard and Heavy Duty. As far as I could see all of the radiators have the same mounting if they are for a Gen 2 durango 4.7 and as such pich one with a nice thick core in your price range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your input. i was worried that maybe the mounting would be different. The build sheet doesnt mention anything about the radiator but i will just go big. Nothing wrong with having more than you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts