Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Limited 5.7 with roughly 245k miles. My fuel pump went up, got it back from the garage and took it for a drive. Came home turned it off. Went to go out a few minutes later and it wouldn't start. Since it had a new fuel pump and pressure at the schrader valve, I assumed the issue was no spark. I proceeded to change the crankshaft and camshaft sensors. No luck. I had a friend on the phone when trying to start it with ether and he said it sounded like no compression. He thought either my timing chain broke or jumped teeth.
Now I know this is an interference motor. But some of the research I have done suggests that since it wasn't running when it broke or whatever that I might still be spared piston or valve damage.
What I am wondering if instead of going through the process of removing the heads. If I take the plugs out and use an inspection camera, would I get a reasonable enough view to see any major piston or valve damage?
Another problem I am having is trying to find someone who will replace the engine. I am being told at least a month or two wait.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P. S. I know to some it wouldn't seem worth it but the vehicle has a lot of family sentimental vale. I need to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
CSIF:
Have you done the "key dance" to see what codes, if any, are stored? Are you hearing the new FP prime when you turn the key to run? You need fuel, spark, and compression to run. Since the original issue was fuel related, I would focus there first. For a timing chain to fail like that, is unusual. How many miles on the plugs? What is the build date shown on the drivers door label?

Don

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,326 Posts
Stop throwing parts at it and assuming the worst. As said, do some actual diagnostics and find the cause of the problem. @Don Fox makes a good point - you just had the fuel pump replaced and the new problem came up immediately after you got it home - that would be the first place I would check before assuming it broke a timing chain and destroyed the engine.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,390 Posts
It's amazing how far he jumped over the obvious of the fuel pump just being replaced. It's no wonder so much money is wasted on cars.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have reservations about a timing chain happening to break or jump some teeth while the engine is not running/during the start cycle...just doesn't seem likely.

As other have said, start from scratch, do a proper diagnosis and go from there. Check for codes, check for the basics, before you start disassembling things. As Moose suggested, check over the most recent repair...something might not be right or have come loose. Check for fuses and relays for everything engine related, maybe you're not firing. Are the plugs soaked in fuel or are they dry? Do you have or can you smell unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust pipe? You say you have fuel pressure at the schrader valve, but how did you check that? By putting a gauge on there or did you just give the needle a push and a bit of gas came out?

There's a hundred things it could be apart from a dead engine or failed timing chain. Maybe your truck has an electrical problem thats blowing out fuel pumps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has 58psi at the schrader valve. I had it towed back to the garage that did the fuel pump. They said while they were testing it and cranking it. That is blew the oil cap off the engine and my engine is blown. My thing is that it never started once I turned it off. So I just got it back late tonight. I will get on the crank with a wrench tomorrow and see if the engine is seized. My thing is that since it has never ran since what I believe is the timing chain breaking. Instead of taking the heads off. Would I be able to check for damage to the pistons and valves from the spark plug holes with an inspection camera?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,390 Posts
Probably not as any bent valves would not necessarily be visible to the eye, especially through a camera. If the valves don't move while the crank is turned then that could confirm it. There is history of that vintage of Hemi dropping valve seats, though mostly on cars that overheated. If your's ever overheated it may have finally dropped a seat. It's caused by the dissimilar metals between the heads and the valve seats which come loose when the head overheats. One thing to consider is that if the oil cap blew off then compression is getting into the crankcase. That could mean catastrophic failure of some piston rings.

Reactions: Urbish and Don Fox

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
For the most part, it was the Hemi engines in the '06 Chargers, that were prone to the valve seats dropping. The early '04 Durango engines, had a bad batch of valve springs, which would fail/collapse, and drop said valve into the cylinder. Again, what is the build date on your driver's door? My '04 SLT's Hemi engine failed at 39k from a failed valve spring. Build date is 01/04 here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably not as any bent valves would not necessarily be visible to the eye, especially through a camera. If the valves don't move while the crank is turned then that could confirm it. There is history of that vintage of Hemi dropping valve seats, though mostly on cars that overheated. If your's ever overheated it may have finally dropped a seat. It's caused by the dissimilar metals between the heads and the valve seats which come loose when the head overheats. One thing to consider is that if the oil cap blew off then compression is getting into the crankcase. That could mean catastrophic failure of some piston rings.
At this point in time I am not sure whether or not I believe that garage. One reason is if it blew the oil cap off wouldn't there be at least some oil spray on my engine? There is none and no clean spots from being wiped up. I am waiting for the weather to break before I go and dig more into it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At this point in time I am not sure whether or not I believe that garage. One reason is if it blew the oil cap off wouldn't there be at least some oil spray on my engine? There is none and no clean spots from being wiped up. I am waiting for the weather to break before I go and dig more into it.
Also it never pulled any codes which I find weird.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Also it never pulled any codes which I find weird.
You can have catastrophic engine failure and still have no codes.

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T "SRT Design"
2016 Dodge Durango Limited

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
513 Posts
I used a cheap inspection camera from Harbor Freight thru the plug holes to inspect when my Equinox 2.4 timing chain slipped. I could not see any bent valves, but saw witness marks on top of each piston from mild contact.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used a cheap inspection camera from Harbor Freight thru the plug holes to inspect when my Equinox 2.4 timing chain slipped. I could not see any bent valves, but saw witness marks on top of each piston from mild contact.
Thanks. The way I see it, its easier than removing the heads.

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
513 Posts
A borescope inspection combined with a compression test will tell the tale. In the case of my Equinox, the compression numbers were still within spec (but on the low side) which told me the valves were still closing even though they lightly kissed the pistons. I put a timing chain kit in it and moved on with my life.

Of course I had a cam position sensor error code which is what pointed me to the timing chain. That you aren't getting any codes is confusing and seems to point away from timing chain issues. Either way, a $75 inspection camera is super useful and you may find other times where it comes in handy if you work on your own stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts