Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Dodge Durango SXT and the transmission pan rusted out. I was going replace both filter while replacing the pan. I was planning on putting 5 quarts of fluid back in, is that good?

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Hi Dylan:
Your 2003 has the 545RFE trans, and will take about 6-7 quarts of quality ATF+4 fluid to bring it back to full.

Autozone has a great filter kit which includes both, and a gasket for $20ish. I believe you can also use RTV to seal the pan if you want.

Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help. I ordered the pan, the two filters, and the gasket. I just wasn’t sure how much fluid I needed for just the pan. I know the whole transmission needed 14.1 quarts.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
There is no easy way to drain the torque converter, or the cooler lines, etc. Having 7 quarts on hand will guarantee that you have enough, plus some extra.
Be sure you put the sump filter seal into the trans first, then install the filter. If the old one happens to come out with the filter, that's ok. Then, install the new one into the trans. You don't want to put it on the filter, and try to install it that way.

Be quite careful when you are tightening up the many pan bolts! They are easy to strip! The torque rating for them is in inch pounds. Add fluid slowly while checking for leaks. Once you get 4 fresh quarts in there, fire it up and top it off. Remember, trans fluid expands as it warms up, so don't overfill.

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts