Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2003 Durango with the towing package, the sticker on the driver's door says 6400lbs is our max towing weight. We bought a 5000lb travel trailer, got it all hitched up, drove it off the lot and the first hill we began to have trouble. Engine running hot, cooled off on the down hills, running hot again. Pulled off about 30 miles from the dealer and had them come pick the trailer up and take it back, and we went on home just fine, no problems.

We've had quite a bit of work done to the truck, new engine swapped out, radiator replaced, tranny rebuilt. Could any of these factors have affected our towing ability? We're worried we'll get the radiator replaced and it still won't be able to tow it. Could a radiator on the brink of needing to be replaced affect the engine this badly? We weren't exactly in beast mode before the engine overheated, we were struggling to pull it up hill faster than 50mph.

Thanks for your help, we're trying to avoid buying a new car and a new RV at the same time...

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
kick the o'drive off for the hills. It would be normal for temp to rise some on the hills with the added load, but it shouldn't rise too much. It could also be that they didn't put the right sized radiator in on the replqcement.

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
definitely run with OD off.

Check to make sure that the electric radiator fan and the mechanical radiator fan are working correctly.

Make sure your radiator cap is holding enough pressure.

is it a 4.7L or a 5.9L?

·
Registered
253 Posts
definitely run with OD off.

Check to make sure that the electric radiator fan and the mechanical radiator fan are working correctly.

Make sure your radiator cap is holding enough pressure.

is it a 4.7L or a 5.9L?
Are you saying Durangos with a towing package have two fans? My 98 has the towing package and only one fan.

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
in 2001 (I believe) they added fans for cooling. my '99 only had a mechanical fan. in 2000? they added an electric fan.

a marginal radiator will cause this as will towing in O/D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts