Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i own an 03 dodge durango and am having having some issues with the sound from the stereo. It seems to cut in and out and at times completely fades to barely anything. I've thrown in a new wiring harness, checked and double checked the fuses, and re wired most of the wiring to the cd deck and still nothing but am now fairly certain its a problem with the ground wire from the deck. Supposedly could be corroded, torn or otherwise screwed up. I've also accessed the stock amp but am now looking to find out where the other end of this ground wire is located so i can trace it along and hopefully find the issue, maybe. Could i possibly get a wiring diagram or schematic or even just the location of the other end of this ground wire, thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Unless of course, somebody out there believes there to be something else going on. Kind of just guessing and slowly eliminating possible reasons, ha

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
Radio ground is G207, bolted to the airbag control module bracket on the transmission hump.

Amp ground is G205 near the amp.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
All speakers fade or cut out at the same time?
Any erratic behavior on the radio display?
How often does this happen?
Check the connectors for corrosion?
Check fuse 13 for corrosion or other problems?

Amp wiring attached.

Attachments

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Clean those grounds up real good, if the radio face isnt going blank when it cuts out its most likely an AMP ground issue or AMP is failing(not uncommon)
If display is going blank its more than likely the radio or radio ground
Let us know I believe some of us may even have a gen 1 radio around
STEVE

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, all at the same time from what i hear, but no real erratic behaviour from the radio display, (which is actually an after market cd deck) that ive actually had installed in my durango with no issues once before. I had taken it out to put into my other car awhile back but have now put it back in my durango to stay, lol. It seems to happen while im driving in instances like taking a sharp turn or hitting a speed bumb or shit like that. Ive also noticed that when it fades right out, i can actually open and close my driver door which temporarily fixes the sound back to normal again for a short while, haha. what i did was i was rewired everything between the cd deck wiring harness and factory harness but their are some more connectors between the factory harness and amp right their in the same spot that im now gonna take a closer look at and re connect with new connections, ill check that fuse as well if i havent already, thanks dude, ill let you know what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes Steve, the cd deck face does actually stay on, so im guessing possibly an amp or amp ground issue maybe then?

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
Oh. Aftermarket head unit.

Check the Dark Green/Red wire. That's the amp turn-on wire.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sorry to piggy back on your thread but my deck is occasionally dimming out for periods of time. It does still work perfectly when dim but all the lights go out. Factory 2000 deck. What causes this?

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Oh. Aftermarket head unit.

Check the Dark Green/Red wire. That's the amp turn-on wire.
DING that could be an issue
STEVE

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Soo, I've tested all the fuses including 13, checked all the connectors as well as threw a few fresh ones one again between the factory harness and amp, cleaned both grounds decently but really barely seemed necessary for as fresh as they both looked, as well as took a look at the red/green amp turn on wire and seems alright...
I'm wondering though, if I were to test the factory or inner wiring harness anyway with a voltage tester, should I have gotten more then a light from just the pink/black fused B(+) or is that normal? Also I do notice that even my interior lights do seem to fade slightly as I roll a window down and little things like that, I don't know if that's in any way related or not. Basically clueless now, tried a few things at this point, lol, what else could be done?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Was thinking, i do also have a decent aftermarket amp i was plannning to hook up in the near future, once all these issues are figured as well as a couple 10" subs i had in my caddy. The owner before me, of my durango had a system of some sort set up at some point because i've got everything needed ran from front to back which was more the a few years ago now, but have none of which hooked up so as to not cause problems or rob power with loose wires while i fix the current issue, but anyway, do you think that if i were to possibly just hook up this amp (not the subs yet cause i still plan to test every speaker and probably get something new or newer anyway), would having that connected help or boost power if it were to be a problem with power? Hah, still a little clueless to the whole sense of audio in vehicles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts