Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member. Looking for some help. My 02 Durango SLT 4X4 (4.7 engine) suddenly threw a code po501. ABS & EMERGENCY BRAKE lights are on and the Speedometer ISN'T working at all. Google says it's a Speed Sensor. I went to Local Chain and after a long discussion and Looking online w/ manager, determined it "SHOULD" be the speed sensor located on the rear transmission... why are there 7 sensors DODGE???? I JUST installed the new sensor and it DID NOT fix the issue!!! Can ANYONE more knowledgeable than I please HELP me out with fixing my problem?!?!
Much appreciated in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
rjc
Welcome to DDN. If you have not, try disconnecting the battery, depress the brake pedal 30 seconds, then reconnect and see if anything has changed. There is also an ABS sensor on top of the rear diff, that can cause similar issues. Will the speedo work once you are above 20 mph? Have you tried that?

Don

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Ok:
Does this D have the standard rear wheel only (usless) ABS, or the fairly rare 4 wheel ABS?

Don

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
It's fairly easy to tell. The ABS pump is mounted over by the brake booster. If it's kind of smallish, and only has 2 lines coming out of it, headed towards the back, you have the RW ABS. If there are lines running through it to the front brakes, you have the less common 4W ABS.

Photograph Black Organism Font Slope

Don

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
None of that looks familiar. I'll look under the hood tomorrow. If it's any help.... I can say I have disc brakes in front and drums on the rear?!
🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Correct!
The Gen 1 D did not get rear discs until 2003, the last year for the Gen 1.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
You'll have to look under the hood. The 4 wheel ABS was available, though not common, from 2000 forward IIRC.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
IIRC = shortspeak for If I Recall Correctly.

Don

·
Super Moderator
13,065 Posts
also, check Fuse 8, 40A, in the PDC (underhood fuse box) and Fuse 27, 10A, in the junction block (left side of instrument panel)

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright...I checked fuses/relays and fluids. Nothing wrong. So now all I can do is go sensor by sensor (differential sensor coming in tomorrow) and HOPEFULLY that will be the end of this fiasco!!!! I will post my results tomorrow when installed. I appreciate all the help & information. I'm still learning and this is a great place to learn from those with more experience and knowledge. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whelp....👎🏽👎🏽👎🏽👎🏽
Changed out the differential sensor. And that was a NO GO. Still got the po501 code and ABS, EMERGENCY BRAKE Light are on and Speedometer still not working!! Guess it's onto the wheel sensors now. After that I'm OPEN FOR HEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Did you do a battery reset after the sensor swap? Unless you have the 4 wheel ABS, I don't think there are any front sensors. Not sure on the rears. All I know, is that the couple of times the RW ABS engaged on my '01, there was no pulsing pedal. It felt like the rear brakes simply unlocked. The front wheels would lock. As I understood it, the RW system was there to keep the rear end from coming around when towing a load, making a panic stop, and the trailer unloads the rear axle as it pushes upward.

Don

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And where or does the 02 have front ABS, rear ABS or BOTH? I read that the rear ABS is the sensor in the differential. Now I looked on the front Left wheel and didn't see a discernable sensor that I could make out visually? Or am I just dumb?

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Good morning:
Recheck my post #6 please. Match up the pic with what you have under your hood. The battery reset done by removing the negative battery terminal, depressing the brake pedal 30 seconds, then reconnect. This takes the power levels to zero, in hopes that new/proper data from the replacement sensor(s) can be properly received.

Don

1 - 20 of 37 Posts