Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying this Durango from my boss, and I knew about this problem going into it, but I am getting it cheap with hopes of being able to fix the brake problem.

So what is happening, every now and then when I use the brakes the front brakes catch really quick and lock up the front tires.
My boss says she had spent over $1000 with the repair shop up the road last year before I got it working on the brakes but I don't know what all they tried to fix.

My first thought was warped rotors, so I bought new rotors and pads, I could see where some spots on the rotors were smooth and others look like somebody had been using sandpaper on them, but they didn't seem warped, although it did seem like the pads on the back side were wearing quicker than the ones on the front side. But anyway I got the new pads and rotors put on, but the problem still persists. No luckily it only does it at low speeds, like slow in a parking lot or when almost stopped at a stop sign. But I still need to get it figured out.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm guessing it has ABS, as most of them do.

Several things can cause lockup, which is application of hydraulic pressure without releasing.

1. Master cylinder internal piston not returning fully to resting position when brake pedal released

2. ABS module failure. Could be bad sensors, ABS module holding line pressure (somehow activating when it shouldn't)

3. Flexible line failure internally between chassis and caliper. The internal lining can block returning fluid, under less pressure to return to the braking system and keep the caliper piston applied.

4. Caliper pistons sticking while applied.

Any codes from ABS system?

What all has been replaced?

Have you gotten a copy of the shop tickets to know what they've attempted so far?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
The majority of the Gen 1 Durangos did not have 4 wheel ABS. Instead, they had a mostly useless rear wheel only ABS that existed to avoid rear wheel lockup when stopping quickly, especially when towing. How many miles on your '02? The ABS unit is mounted near the master cylinder, and you can readily tell whether it has the 2 wheel or 4 wheel ABS. The 2 wheel module looks unimpressive, whereas the 4 wheel module is bigger, and has lines to the front wheels.

When I had my '01, if it sat for a while, the first or second stop of the day would have the rear drum brakes grabbing a bit until the moisture on them dried out.

The upcharge when ordering a Gen 1 for the better 4 wheel ABS was peanuts, yet many did not opt for it. Crazy IMO since ABS has been around since the early 90's on any kind of a scale.

Don

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
First thing I'd do is change the brake fluid out. The wrong type of brake fluid or contaminated brake fluid can cause that issue....especially in non-4 wheel abs equipped vehicle.
Then we can move to mechanical issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts