Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with the transmission apparently. When I come to a stop, for some reason it likes to not downshift into 1st gear so when I go to take off it isn't in gear and does not move even like its in neutral, then it engages into gear and I can take off. Sometimes it takes a few seconds, sometimes is can take like 10 seconds for it to engage. It seems to happen when I come to abrupt stop after traveling down the road. If I can come to a slow gradual stop, it will work fine most of the time and go into 1st as always once i come to a stop. It also does this when I slow down to make a turn at a light or onto a street sometimes (not curves). I will be holding the gas and then kit the brake and when i press the gas, the RPMs will rev up and then jump back down like it engaged into gear as I finish my turn. As far as regular driving, it switches gear fine with no issues and everything drives perfectly, its just the coming to stop and into turns that I am having this problem. This has started happening in the past few months and has been happening more often now. I am worried the transmission is going out which is not something affordable right now. Has anyone else had this issue and what could be causing it? And am I looking at anything super expensive?

I do have a P0420 check engine light code also, but I don't think the two are related as the transmission issue has been happening before it can on.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
JV:
How many miles on your D? That 46RE trans has bands that are supposed to be adjusted every 30ish K. Have you done that? If not, it might me a good time to drop the pan, do a filter/fluid change, and band adjustment.

Don

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JV:
How many miles on your D? That 46RE trans has bands that are supposed to be adjusted every 30ish K. Have you done that? If not, it might me a good time to drop the pan, do a filter/fluid change, and band adjustment.

Don
Its got about 125K miles, i bought about 4 years ago wth 105K and no I haven't done that. That is what I was thinking might be the issue. Roughly how much does it cost to have something like this done on average?

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
I am gonna say $200 or less. The drain/refill filter change is not hard. The procedure for the band adjust is here on the forum. I have never done the band adjust, but having read the procedure it did not look too hard. IIRC, the pan needs to be off for it, so the time is perfect for both to be done. You (or whomever you have do it) can also check the pan for signs of metal, damage, etc.

Don

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am gonna say $200 or less. The drain/refill filter change is not hard. The procedure for the band adjust is here on the forum. I have never done the band adjust, but having read the procedure it did not look too hard. IIRC, the pan needs to be off for it, so the time is perfect for both to be done. You (or whomever you have do it) can also check the pan for signs of metal, damage, etc.

Don
Okay so I took it to the transmission shop and they told me the transmission is fine and that its the catalytic converter so I guess the check engine light has to do with it possibly. They wanted about 3 hours of labor or less and $800 for the part, but he said if I can get the part, they will just charged the labor, probably around $200 or less. he said he would work with me on it if I brought the part in. So i guess i need to start a new post on the catalytic converter I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
The P0420 does involve the converter. I fail to see how a converter issue would affect the trans shifting, unless the engine could not reach high enough rpms to shift. If the converter is bad, there would be higher emission levels, and the engine might not run well at higher rpms.
You may have 2 separate issues going on here. Did they say how they came to this conclusion?

Don

·
Registered
86 Posts
The front band adjustment is done by setting the correct torque to a screw on the outside of the transmission.

If you drop the pan you should spend 100usd on a new set of governor pressure switch and transducer.
2000 DODGE DURANGO 5.9L V8 Governor / Modulator | RockAuto

Rockauto also has a catalytic converter with pipes up to the manifolds. 2000 DODGE DURANGO 5.9L V8 Catalytic Converter | RockAuto

1 - 10 of 10 Posts