Dodge Durango Forum banner

2002 Durango continually faulty PCMS

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Dannyy 
#1 ·
My 2002 Durango's original PCM failed 6 months ago at around 210,000 miles, and I took it to my local Dodge Service Center where they diagnosed the issue and replaced it with a remanufactured PCM, then a month ago my check engine light came on again, and I took it back to them where they said it was a faulty PCM and replaced it with another refurbed PCM and told me that should fix it. The service manager said that they frequently go through multiple PCMs before they find a good one. The next day my Durango started stalling at idle which it never did before, and then the check engine came back on. I took it back to the service center again, and then they said it was the PCM again, and they kept my car for 2 weeks saying that they were waiting for the part to arrive and they said that the next 2 they received were bad before getting one and saying that should fix the issue. It is now 2 weeks later, my car won't start, and the Dodge Service Center won't answer or return my calls. I had it towed to a private mechanic, and they took a brief look at it and said they were pretty sure it was the PCM and I should take it back to Dodge since the PCM is still under warranty. I am thinking about just showing up at their office so they at least have to talk to me.

Does it make sense that I got so many bad PCMs from Dodge in a row? Or is it likely that maybe the problem is something else wrong that is making the PCMs go bad?

If anyone has any ideas of what it could be that might help me get the issue fixed I would appreciate any ideas. I really like my Durango and just want it running again.

See less See more
#2 ·
KNB:
Welcome to DDN. It's hard to believe that they could have gotten so many faulty PCMs. You paid them for the repair correct? it sounds like they have not diagnosed the entire issue. Something took out the original PCM, and seemingly continues to do so. The repair should have a 12mo/12k warranty that is good at any dealer.

I would try another dealer.

Don

Reactions: Ike03
#4 ·
KNB:
Welcome to DDN. It's hard to believe that they could have gotten so many faulty PCMs. You paid them for the repair correct? it sounds like they have not diagnosed the entire issue. Something took out the original PCM, and seemingly continues to do so. The repair should have a 12mo/12k warranty that is good at any dealer.

I would try another dealer.

Don
Thank you for the insight Don. I have paid them for the repair. I am thinking that there is probably something else wrong that they haven't diagnosed yet, but they don't seem to be interested in doing any further business with me, so maybe I will try another dealership and see what they say. Maybe I could even get a new remanufactured PCM from Dodge and get someone else to put it in for me and diagnose what else might be wrong.

#3 ·
I went thru that problem a few years ago with a Caliber RT. Unfortunately the age of your D rules out getting a new OEM from the dealer. I wound up getting 2 bad ones before I got a good one from an online remanufacturing co. Basically you give them your VIN and they program the "new" one and you install it and send them your core back to them. Hope this helps you.

#7 ·
If you haven’t found a good PCM check out the website Flagship1 .com i had the exact thing happen to me as your issue. You provide them your VIN as each durango PCM is different and you need one programmed the EXACT same as your original.. first one i got from them worked perfectly and have great warranty. Did you also get a PCV engine code when your D first bite the dust?