Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 dodge durango
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased this vehicle. I have replaced all the fluids, spark plugs, 3 evap hoses (p0442 and p0455 code) and the vehicle still surges (50-100rpm) while going at a steady speed in 4th or 5th gear you don't feel it (so not the tranny) but rather hear it and see the RPMs needle jump up and down. When idling it sounds like it has a very small misfire but no misfire codes. Purge valve looks fairly new and not leaking and charcoal canister isn't cracked or damaged either.

Doesn't surge while accelerating or coasting only at a steady speed wether im in cruise control or have my foot on the gas.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing the surge.

2nd question,

My thermostat and my heater did not work prior to fixing the broken EVAP hosed now that I fixed the hoses my heater works great and the thermostat Needle on the dash is in the normal range it was in the cold range before.

How did fixing the hoses make the heater work?

Water temp before. Bottom left

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Hi Eric:
Welcome to DDN. Your rpm issue is likely a failing TPS. Those symptoms are textbook for that. As far as the heat issue, the EVAP should not be a part of that. There are some vacuum hoses under the hood that would affect the heater box operation if they were bad/disconnected.

The part about the heater gauge though is strange. Neither of these should affect that, unless something in that circuit was loose, and you disturbed it while trouble shooting.

Don

·
Registered
2002 dodge durango
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's my next question to the TPS. I took it off today and cleaned it. I noticed there's a piston that goes back and forth. Mine was extremely hard to push and pull. (Don't know if I should have tried moving it, but I did) should it move easily or should it have resistance?

·
Registered
2002 dodge durango
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Never mind that's the fuel injection idle air control valve. Not the TPS.

I just ordered a new IACV and TPS for $60 they'll be here Tuesday. Thanks and I'll let ya know if it works.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
You have gotten it right so far. The small rpm jump you are seeing, is the torque converter locking/unlocking as you roll down the highway. The IAB can be cleaned sometimes, but while you are there, go ahead and change it. I believe the piston/plunger you mention should not move about too easily.

Don

·
Registered
2002 dodge durango
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was reading somewhere that if you can smell gas in the exhaust then that piston is probably gone bad too.

You can smell the gas but it's not strong but stronger than it should be.

This fixes it I'll be happy if not I'll have to take it to someone.

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 dodge durango
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it's a torch converter solenoid or the torque converter because you don't feel the vehicle vibrate accelerate or decelerate when it's happening. Since I have straight pipes you can hear it but can't feel it. I've been wanting to put a muffler on it just haven't got around to it. (20-year-old kid before me took it off) but then again I could be wrong. I bought a nicer OBD2 reader I'll see if that picks up any different codes than autozones reader. It'll be here tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
It's not the solenoid, nor the converter's problem. The TPS is sending noisy info to the computer, and that causes the lock/unlock issue. The 4.7 on the Gen 1 is known for it. Mine had it as have many others. The TPS is cheap. If nothing else, you will rule it out.

Don

·
Registered
2002 dodge durango
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dumb question, I literally just noticed 1 hr ago that my after market cold air intake air filter doesn't have a nose cap. So all the air is just being sucked straight through the pipe. Could to much air cause the p0455 code to appear? I'm buying a new filter tomorrow anyways.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
The P0455 is an evap code IIRC. I don't like to say never, but I don't think it would cause that. Evap codes usually indicate a leak in the evap system. Running without an air filter would not qualify for that IMO.

Don

·
Registered
2002 dodge durango
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got my OBD2 reader. Code p0740 came up. (Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction) No evap codes anymore.

So I'm assuming, I need a new tcc solenoid for the transmission?

·
Registered
2002 dodge durango
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replaced the TPS and noticed it doesn't surge as bad but still surges. ICV will be here Monday.

·
Registered
2002 dodge durango
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ICV arrived, vehicle has better response and acceleration but it still surges. Code P0740 doesn't show up now. Its as if the code comes and goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts